Headset movement

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

I have an S-Works Venge vias but for some reason the headset is moving when I press the front brake and rock the bike forwards and backwards (like when you check for worn bearings). The bearings are not worn out as they are new. I can see that the top bearing moves forwards and backwards in the frame hole when I rock the bike. Has anyone ever had this problem or knows how to solve it?

Comments

• shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    It just needs tightening. 5 minute job. Undo the top cap and take it off, loosen the stem bolts (on the side) and push the stem down as far as it will go. Replace the top cap and tighten it and then tighten the stem bolts.

If that doesn’t work there will be an Allen key bolt underneath the top cap. Tighten that (it’s a larger Allen key) and the do the above.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The bolt on the top cap is effectively your preload adjuster. Loosen the stem bolts and then wind the top cap bolt in a bit until the play disappears. Simple job..
  • mtbrider123
    Shipley wrote:
    It just needs tightening. 5 minute job. Undo the top cap and take it off, loosen the stem bolts (on the side) and push the stem down as far as it will go. Replace the top cap and tighten it and then tighten the stem bolts.

If that doesn’t work there will be an Allen key bolt underneath the top cap. Tighten that (it’s a larger Allen key) and the do the above.

Perfect, that worked! Thank you very much!
  • mtbrider123
    Imposter wrote:
    The bolt on the top cap is effectively your preload adjuster. Loosen the stem bolts and then wind the top cap bolt in a bit until the play disappears. Simple job..

Done that, thank you!
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Hurrah :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bang the front end a few times - simulate a pothole hit.
    If it becomes loose, then it aint sorted.
    There is always a reason for things .