decent reliable HRM

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited March 2018 in Road general
looking for decent and reliable HRM at a decent price.I have had a couple of garmin hard strap hrm's and they keep dropping out and then just stop working altogether.had this last one about a year and its packed in already.

so I'm looking for recommendations for one within a £50 budget.

TIA
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Wahoo tickr
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I got quickly got fed up of Bluetooth dropouts in Zwift in early January, using the Zwift Mobile Link as a bridge for my one year old Polar H7.

Bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M8QD9Z4 (dual Bluetooth and ANT+) and I've had no dropouts since via ANT+ in Zwift, or outdoors on my "Y10" Lezyne Super GPS.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Wahoo tickr

+1 BTE or ANT+ compatible.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,446
    Garmin ones usually fail as the battery cover seal breaks down and allows sweat to flood the electronics. I've wrapped mine in 4 layers of electrical tape. Been ok for the last year or so. Touch wood.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Wahoo tickr

This.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    Wahoo ticker seems to be getting the vote so far...cheers lads
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • I've been using the Decathlon one for three months now with no problems. I've only seen good reviews, and it's only £30.
  • The Garmin straps are rubbish even the newer ones. As has been said they last about a year then pack up. I'm using a Polar strap brought on ebay for around £5 its never let me down and the Garmin pod clips on to it no problems.
  • Htclee
    Htclee Posts: 33
    Wahoo Tickr
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I've been using the Decathlon one for three months now with no problems. I've only seen good reviews, and it's only £30.
    Another vote for Decathlon.
    Recently bought a new one as it is now includes Bluetooth, which I needed for Zwift.
    Old Ant+ only one still works well after several years.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Garmin straps are rubbish even the newer ones. As has been said they last about a year then pack up. I'm using a Polar strap brought on ebay for around £5 its never let me down and the Garmin pod clips on to it no problems.

Me too. Started recording rides at less than my resting heart rate or clinically dead. Wasted money changing the battery but then concluded the fault was with the Garmin "premium" strap. Garmin want the GDP of a small African country just for a new strap.

Bought the Polar one (from Decathlon) and stuck the Garmin pod straight on, bingo! Back to 100% reliability. We'll see how long this combination lasts...
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Going against what has been said, I would go for the Garmin hard strap. Mine has been fine, but then it's only 8 years old ,so it's early days yet!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,721
    Only use HRM indoors on the TT. Ditched the bluetooth, fed up with spurious data errors, went back to basics with an old school simple and cheap Decathlon strap and watch, fix the watch on the bars, sorted, never a problem since.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Garmin/Polar cross here, too. Works like a charm
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The Garmin straps are rubbish even the newer ones. As has been said they last about a year then pack up. I'm using a Polar strap brought on ebay for around £5 its never let me down and the Garmin pod clips on to it no problems.
    I must be doing something wrong. My Garmin soft strap give me no problems and keeps working well!
  • Wahoo Tickr

Ant+ and Bluetooth connectivity. Mine has never failed to connect to anything that's searched for it. That's various phones, Wahoo Elemnt, Gym kit etc.
  • Wahoo again...!
    I changed from Garmin to Wahoo 6 weeks ago. I find all the wahoo stuff really good
  • pulinski
    pulinski Posts: 14
    Wahoo Tickr
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Wahoo Tickr, works very well with my Garmin
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    TICKR. Used it with my iPhone 7 and ELEMNT Bolt. Hasn’t missed a beat.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere