Mtb to commuter

Jimny14
Jimny14 Posts: 54
edited March 2018 in The workshop
I'm currently using my old dusty cheap mtb for a bit of commuting to and from work, I've done a bit of refurbishment, changed out the old knackered cassette and chain, new brake pads (discs) tightened up slackened cables and adjusted derailleurs accordinly. Nothing expensive just necessary stuff. Now it's running nicely it got me thinking on my way in to work this morning. I quite often run out of gearing and reach my top speed limited by the gears. I also have a suspension front fork which can't be locked. I wonder should / could I swap out the chain rings (and likely bottom bracket) to increase my gearing (guessing I'd have to put some/all the links I took out the chain back in) should I swap the front fork for something rigid or would I be better served just saving for a new bike? I like commuting on this bike as I'm not to precious over it and I am doing year round commuting in all weather's (cycled in this week but I am in Lancaster). Any advice greatly received.

Comments

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Without knowing what your riding and your current set up re tyres, casseet range and frot rings its really hard to say , im running a carrera subway asa winter bike with a 48x11 max gear, generally run about 48x two thirds the way up the cassette on the flat circa 19 mph
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't work out why you need to change the BB if you change rings, but you might have hassles with the front (and possibly) rear mechs.

Without some details though, as above.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Jimny14
    Thanks guys, I'm currently on 42 big ring at front (haven't checked what other two are recently), then 14-28 rear, all shimano mech (will check what when I get home), tyres wise im on 26" 1.75 scwable Road cruisers and disk brakes
  • Changing the cassette again is possibly the best and simplest option.

Can you get a suitable cassette with an 11 tooth, if not then a 12 tooth, smallest sprocket?

I've a similar set up for commuting - a 15 year old mtb - with an 11-32 9 speed cassette matched with 42 or 44 tooth big ring which gives more than enough range of gears.
  • Jimny14
    My problem I've found is finding a 7speed freewheel with less than a 14, shimano used to make an 11 but it appears to have been discontinued. I agree it would be the easy option to replace the rear but finding it tricky, might try and find a Nos verdion