Light Bicycle Wheels.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels and have looked at Light Bicycle wheels in the past and just wondered if anyone has any experience of them?

I've always shied away from the usual Chinese carbon wheels and stuff in general due to concerns about quality etc. but these look to be a lot better.

I'm also a big old bloke and weigh in the region of 105kg so fit within their eight limit (for the 35mm U shape rims) but am still a little worried about carbon rims for my size and weight.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    LB rims are fine but 35mm deep rims are not that stiff. Go deeper and with more spokes. Also nipple washers will help rim longivity.

Frankly carbon clincher shallower than 45mm are rather pointless. with the right rim profile 50mm deep rimmed wheels are very stable in cross winds and not much heavier. rim weight has more do with carbon sheet layup than depth. People buy them under the mistaken belief they are better at climbing or they are more stable in cross winds. This is bogus. You can build light 45/50mm depth rimmed wheels that climb just as well and are as stable if not more so in the wind. Wind stability has more to do with rim profile than depth.

I have built with a few customer supplied rims but I bring my own in (not LB) though but not in the drilling needed to support you although they might. The thing is weight limits are a guide how the rider rides is more important.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.