Hope pro 2 evo wheel bearings

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
A question to those out there that have changed the wheel bearings on a hope pro 2 evo hub.

My rear wheel has had loads of miles on it and it doesn't sound really rough but not like a new wheel would be on fresh bearings.

Which bearings tend to need changing is it the main axle bearings in you?

I've looked at the hope tech doc for the hub and it looks like the wheel uses 5 bearings, 3 in the freehub and 2 main axle bearings.

I've been looking at replacement bearings is it worth just getting a full set from hope or have you guys mixed and matched bearings SKF, INA etc?

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have never bothered buying replacement hope ones,either a full kit off ebay or some from a local engineering suppliers,as you have the hub apart you my as well change the lot
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have never bothered buying replacement hope ones,either a full kit off ebay or some from a local engineering suppliers,as you have the hub apart you my as well change the lot

yeah i was wondering those with experience of these hubs which bearings out of the lot were most likely to wear and replace.

I've not got the hub apart just had the wheel off bike and taken axle caps off and noticed a roughness to the main axle bearings. its had loads of miles on it well over 5k probably.

Its more to have in the spares box really once they finally wear out.

is it also worth buying the hope tool kit for pro2 evo/pro4?
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    It was the main axle bearings which went on mine.
    One of the rear bearings was trashed and fell apart after only 1k-2k, whilst front were changed after probably about 5k as they were noisy and you could feel the roughness when spinning the wheel
    The LBS did mine whilst doing other work and was not very much
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    swod1 wrote:

yeah i was wondering those with experience of these hubs which bearings out of the lot were most likely to wear and replace.

I've not got the hub apart just had the wheel off bike and taken axle caps off and noticed a roughness to the main axle bearings. its had loads of miles on it well over 5k probably.

Its more to have in the spares box really once they finally wear out.

is it also worth buying the hope tool kit for pro2 evo/pro4?

When you go to take the cassette these can be a bit tight as they mash together a bit,file the high points off before putting it back on,it is usual for a hope freehub body to do this,pull and twist the freehub body slowly as the pawls can sometimes jump if yanked out,I have never bought any hope tools,I just use a mallet and a socket that is just a tiny bit smaller the out side of the race just,and then tap it home,similar for the freehub body as well, don't forget the freehub spacer when reassembling "I have",push the freehub body back on till the till the pawls hit the hub body,then twist it will pop back in,it's not hard just common sense