Boost wheel -- XD and non-XD spacing different?

othello
othello Posts: 578
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I’ve got a Scott Scale 930, which has a Boost rear hub and comes with a non- XD freehub. It’s a Deore hub with a ‘normal’ style 11-42 cassette.

I’ve picked up a set of Roval boost wheels (came off a Specialized Epic), and the rear has an XD freehub. I’ve bought an XD cassette and fitted it.

When I insert the Roval rear, the cassette isn’t in the same position as the other wheel. It’s nearer the drive side by almost a whole cog — with the mech set to the smallest cog the chain is one up the cassette and not on the 10t, and changing to the biggest cog puts the chain off the cassette and into the spokes.

Easily fixable by adjusting the limit screws, but... it means I cannot easily switch the wheels over. Which was the point, especially for racing where the stock wheels are being kept as spares. They cannot be easily dropped in without resetting the gears.

I had thought the XD driver would position the cassette in the same place?

Do I need to add a spacer behind the cassette on the non XD deore hub?

Any ideas?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XD driver will put the cassette in the same place, but different hubs do not, quite common for different brands of hubs to put the cassette in a different location, Shimano being cup and cone need more space so the cassette is typically closer to the centre of the wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've noticed something similar when i switched from shimano to hope wheels as the new wheels used cartridge bearings it was closer to the frame when on the 11 tooth of my cassette. Not a problem as i don't switch wheels.

If your that bothered you could sell the spare wheels and buy another set of the same wheels you now have on the bike.