Rockshox Revelation lower leg corrosion and hole

bonzo_banana
bonzo_banana Posts: 256
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Have a look at this;

doqply.jpg

Basically I got these forks for free buying something else they were just a bonus to the purchase. They are about 8 years old. The lower leg has what looks like corrosion damage rather than physical damage and a hole has formed. It looks like the paint is lifting just above so perhaps another pinhole of corrosion.

Can I fix this by welding or some other treatment safely, maybe with an additional plate on top. Do I need to get a whole new lower section to be sure.

I'm not keen to spend much money on them to be honest. The reviews seem to state at the time they were excellent and expensive forks but high maintenance. I don't really need them and if that really is corrosion I'm not very inspired by their quality to say the least. What could cause such corrosion damage anyway if corrosion, just water? wrong oil? I have some other older bikes with rockshox forks with no corrosion at all on the lowers. An old GT timberline from 1995 I think so 15 years older approx and no indications of corrosion on the lower's and they were low end models at the time.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Only time I've seen holes in the lowers of RS forks has been due to a crash. Could be that it was damaged first and the corrosion followed in the exposed metal. Either way, I'd not ride that if you paid me a fortune and offered substantial life-insurance payouts to my family.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Scrap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Worth this investment if I take it apart and the other parts seem ok (unlikely)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Low ... 3092573468
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say it looks like it's had water inside and it's eaten it's way out. What are the lowers made of? Looks like magnesium.

Either way, they are definitely toast. If it is magnesium you could entertain yourself by chucking it on a bonfire...

I'd strip it down before spending anything on it; you may discover other damage which makes it a non starter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’d agree, strip and check it and then buy new lowers if it makes sense.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.