Scott Scale 950 or 980?

waqr
waqr Posts: 2
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
Please guys help me decide here

I am new to MTB and my plan is to join the local club for some riding 2-3 times a week. It will mostly be gravel roads and and forest trails.

At first I set my budget to about a 1.000USD (10.000 SEK) and was then looking at the Scott Scale 980 which looks like a nice bike. However, after posting this on a Swedish forum people said that the Scale 950 was a much better bike. Sure but it also costs 600 USD more here in Sweden.

I am thinking like this, since I do not know if MTB is something I will think is fun I better go with the cheaper 980 and if I then enjoy this I will probably anyway trade up to a more expensive bike next year. I am afraid that I will not be pleased then even with the 950 so therefore my conclusion is that I might aswell buy the 980 now and either sell this and stop with MTB at the end of the year or trade up to something even better then the 950.

What do you guys think? Is the 980 a better choice for me at this point or should I go with the 950?

Many thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should be able to do much better for the money - do you have Decathlon or similar there?

But pointless to spend a load of money if you don't even know if you enjoy riding.

Buy a cheap second hand bike and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools