Felt z1 frame with carbon sleeve preventing Praxis conv.

joeguerilla
joeguerilla Posts: 29
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice installing a campag super record UT crankset on a bb30 frame.

The plan was to get the LBS to fit a praxis bb30 converter. The mechanic I spoke to swears by it having no creaks etc. However, I've just read the Praxis specs and it says this..

"FELT F1, F2, AND Z1 - 2011-2014 versions of these frames used Felt’s custom Carbon BB30 with a non-removable carbon sleeve/lip. (see photo) This custom shell prevents installation of the Praxis Conversion BB.
2015 models of these frames use regular aluminum BB30 and are perfect for installation."

Unfortunately mine is 2014 and has this lip. Can anyone advise on my best options?

Was looking forward to this all fitting together but seems it's not so simple after all :((

Thank you
Joe

Comments

• Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,527
    these fit into the existing bb30 bearings (which you'll need to add if you haven't any)...

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bb-crank ... ranks.html

unless the bb30 shell is out of tolerance or is worn/flexy there should be no creaking, just follow the frame instructions for installing the bearings
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Hi, thanks very much for your post. Assuming you mean they just fit over the bearings already part of the crank? I suppose I'll need to press this directly in the frame with some loctite.

Have you had any experience with this part before? And do you know if the aforementioned carbon lip will be an issue pushing this in?

Thanks
  • Having looked at the technical notes, I'm a little confused. Is it suggesting I install two sets of bearings?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's certainly what those instructions suggest. Plus it looks like the adapters may also foul your internal lip.

What was installed in your frame originally?
  • I bought the frame 2nd hand and it had bearings already installed likely with a bb30 crank set up, but I removed those to install a campag power torque adapter, which seemed to fit but it had quite a bit of resistance when spinning freely so wasn't ideal.

This is Ultra torque however so I had to bin the previous set up
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,527
    the wheelsmfg adaptors go into the standard bb30 bearings that the frame is designed for, i.e. they are 30mm diameter on that section, just like a bb30 spindle, they will not foul on the lip

the ut bearings remain in place on the crankset

yes there are two sets of bearings!

it's not elegant, but it's a solution to the problem :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Interesting. Thank you so much for your help.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Why not use the Campagnolo BB30 cups?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Could be an option if they are compatible with my frame. When I spoke to the LBS mechanic, he didn't recommend them so wasn't sure how good an option they are.

Have you had any experience using these? I haven't seen many reviews online about them working well only that they creep out of the frame over time and creak, which is enough to put me off