Replacing strange Syncros top cap on a Scott Scale

othello
othello Posts: 578
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
My new Scott Scale has an odd headset topcap. It is a Syncros one, and looks like this:

212992_00_c.jpg

The plastic lip at the back matches with a lip on the headset spacers, and the stem rear clamp bolts. Can I replace this top cap with a normal one, allowing me to use a stem from another manufacturer? Different stems cannot be slammed because they don't fit the profile of the lip.
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    A top cap sits on top of the stem and has a bolt to screw into a star fangled nut.

It appears to me what you describe is a headset spacer of fancy shape to match the stem.

It would appear to me you can get rid of it and use standard spacers, with the same stem or another stem.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    02GF74 wrote:
    A top cap sits on top of the stem and has a bolt to screw into a star fangled nut.

It appears to me what you describe is a headset spacer of fancy shape to match the stem.

It would appear to me you can get rid of it and use standard spacers, with the same stem or another stem.

Yes, you are right, I meant top cover (not cap).

I need to replace the current shaped one, but I'm not sure if I need a specific top cover (size etc)?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    othello wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:

Yes, you are right, I meant top cover (not cap).

I need to replace the current shaped one, but I'm not sure if I need a specific top cover (size etc)?

It will be a standard size. Usual way to tell is the bearing will have a code on it somewhere (unless its rubbed off) and it should allow you buy the right upper headset assembly which will come with a new standard upper headset cover.
  • Did you find a solution for that?