Need help with lockring for my wheels and rotors

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I know this is not very mtb related but I just thought that you’re a better group to address for this question. So I have Roval CLX 64 disc wheelset with Sram centerlock rotors. Does anyone know which lockring I need to buy for this combination? (They have 12mm thru axles)

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do the rotor mounts have an internal or external thread?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mtbrider123
    cooldad wrote:
    Here’s a picture of it: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod120152
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Shimano cassette lockring should work, try your LBS and if you don't mind pre-owned ones they can be had for a packet of biscuits if the shop has a bucket of spares.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Not the rotor, the mounts on the wheel.

Most are as redvee says.

Some have an external thread which needs a different ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mtbrider123
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Not the rotor, the mounts on the wheel.

Most are as redvee says.

Some have an external thread which needs a different ring.

Ah ok, it’s internal, so you screw in the lockring like on the cassette. By the way, the lockring from an 11 speed cassette fits but obviously it’s not a good idea to use it for the rotor.
  • mtbrider123
    redvee wrote:
    Shimano cassette lockring should work, try your LBS and if you don't mind pre-owned ones they can be had for a packet of biscuits if the shop has a bucket of spares.

I’ve seen Shimano 15/20mm axle only but haven’t seen for 12mm axle or it doesn’t matter? Will they fit? They’re called SM-HB20 lockrings.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Ah ok, it’s internal, so you screw in the lockring like on the cassette. By the way, the lockring from an 11 speed cassette fits but obviously it’s not a good idea to use it for the rotor.
    It's actually fine to use a cassette lockring. I'd maybe think twice if it's a lightweight aluminium lockring, but if it's steel, go for it.
  • mtbrider123
    whyamihere wrote:
    It's actually fine to use a cassette lockring. I'd maybe think twice if it's a lightweight aluminium lockring, but if it's steel, go for it.

Perfect, thank you!