Replace BB386 EVO crankset

boom
boom Posts: 27
edited March 2018 in Workshop
I have an FSA crankset (Gossamer) which is BB386 EVO

I want to replace it with a regular Gossamer crankset (BB30)

What do I need to do? New BB? or is there an adapter of some sort?

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    boom wrote:
    I have an FSA crankset (Gossamer) which is BB386 EVO

I want to replace it with a regular Gossamer crankset (BB30)

What do I need to do? New BB? or is there an adapter of some sort?

BB386 uses the BB/PF30 bearing size but has a wider shell. BB386 cranks therefore fit in BB/PF30 BB but cranks specifically for BB/PF30 or similar frequently dont fit in BB386 Shell (the spindles are too short)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Won't fit unless you can swap the spindles - BB30 crank spindle is 18mm too short
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As I understand it, BB386 is a threaded bottom bracket where the bearings sit outside of the frame to allow the same size bearings as PF30. Its a way of trying to achieve all that was supposed to be good about PF30 but without all the problems that come with press fit etc.

As said, it therefore requires wider crank spindles so you have to get the correct BB386 cranks.

UNLESS - I think the screw fit in the frame might be the same as BSA standard/Shimano Hollowtech - so if you are prepared to replace the bottom bracket aswell, you might be able to fit corresponding crankset.

Dont go pressfit (BB30) tough, even if you could get an adapter - I see no ends of problems with these.

I would stick with BB386 or go Shimano Hollowtech (check that I am right before making that change though - just in case I am not!).
  • Vino'sGhost
    apreading wrote:
    As I understand it, BB386 is a threaded bottom bracket where the bearings sit outside of the frame to allow the same size bearings as PF30. Its a way of trying to achieve all that was supposed to be good about PF30 but without all the problems that come with press fit etc.

As said, it therefore requires wider crank spindles so you have to get the correct BB386 cranks.

UNLESS - I think the screw fit in the frame might be the same as BSA standard/Shimano Hollowtech - so if you are prepared to replace the bottom bracket aswell, you might be able to fit corresponding crankset.

Dont go pressfit (BB30) tough, even if you could get an adapter - I see no ends of problems with these.

I would stick with BB386 or go Shimano Hollowtech (check that I am right before making that change though - just in case I am not!).

you are completely wrong. BB386 is a pressfit bottom bracket standard for road bikes. i.e. cups with bearings in are pressed into the frame.
  • apreading
    Actually, just looking, its about as clear as mud:

"Anyway, the new BB386EVO system is press fit and uses an 86.5mm bottom bracket shell width – the frame is wider down there than currently and the axle is as long as that of an external system. And the axle diameter is 30mm – the same as BB30.

Clear? Okay, so what are the advantages? According to FSA:

• The BB386EVO axle, 30mm in diameter, has a higher stiffness-to-weight ratio than the 24mm axle of a system like MegaExo.

• The bearings are positioned further apart than with BB30 for increased stiffness and stability.

• The BB386EVO crank arms are straighter than those you get with BB30, making for more rigidity.

The other major factor in its favour is that the BB386EVO crank system is compatible with threaded bottom bracket shells. In other words, although it’s essentially a press fit system, you can get a BB386EVO bottom bracket that’ll fit a threaded 68mm BB shell, so you can use new standard cranks on an old standard frame."

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/fsa-bb36 ... m-bracket/
  • Vino'sGhost
    apreading wrote:
    Actually, just looking, its about as clear as mud:

"Anyway, the new BB386EVO system is press fit and uses an 86.5mm bottom bracket shell width – the frame is wider down there than currently and the axle is as long as that of an external system. And the axle diameter is 30mm – the same as BB30.

Clear? Okay, so what are the advantages? According to FSA:

• The BB386EVO axle, 30mm in diameter, has a higher stiffness-to-weight ratio than the 24mm axle of a system like MegaExo.

• The bearings are positioned further apart than with BB30 for increased stiffness and stability.

• The BB386EVO crank arms are straighter than those you get with BB30, making for more rigidity.

The other major factor in its favour is that the BB386EVO crank system is compatible with threaded bottom bracket shells. In other words, although it’s essentially a press fit system, you can get a BB386EVO bottom bracket that’ll fit a threaded 68mm BB shell, so you can use new standard cranks on an old standard frame."

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/fsa-bb36 ... m-bracket/

Hahahah mate you clearly havent got a clue thats from a bikeradar article.

To the OP get down to your LBS and get something that fits that you like. Internet advice is not often what you need, and there is a dizzying array of bb standards, adapters and crank systems. Unless you know what you're doing don't buy anything, you may well end up wasting your money.

The quite useful hambini site has these engineering drawings https://www.hambini.com/download/BB386evoShell.PDF
    I think Park and Wheels Engineering have some spec sheets too if you want to get geeky about it.
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    edited March 2018
    Try here - from the pdf bb finder they do a 30mm spindle to bb386 - I have a gpx to 386 and it's ace - 7500 miles and no issues

Their techy help is great as well :D

https://www.c-bear.com/

Cheers
  • boom
    boom Posts: 27
    thanks all - off to the LBS then ;)
  • apreading
    Yes - it looks like this was created as a new 'standard' to allow working with all types of frame (threaded and press fit).

My Whyte Cornwall uses the threaded version I linked to above, so the frame is standard BSA and would take a Hollowtech BB and cranks. (A discussion here: http://road.cc/content/forum/146581-fsa ... patibility)

But it seems that BB386 EVO may also be used in press fit, non threaded frames.

So you need to find out what type of frame you have first!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    apreading wrote:
    Yes - it looks like this was created as a new 'standard' to allow working with all types of frame (threaded and press fit).

My Whyte Cornwall uses the threaded version I linked to above, so the frame is standard BSA and would take a Hollowtech BB and cranks. (A discussion here: http://road.cc/content/forum/146581-fsa ... patibility)

But it seems that BB386 EVO may also be used in press fit, non threaded frames.

So you need to find out what type of frame you have first!

No may about it as my Reacto is BB386 EVO as standard. Will take 3D30, GXP, 3D24 etc. FSA designed it to accommodate just about everything with the right bottom bracket in place.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.