Changing gripshift to rapid fire

shooter999
shooter999 Posts: 143
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Appreciate this may not be in the correct forum, but I’m hoping someone can advise!

We bought my 10yr old daughter a 2nd hand bike which came with SRAM max grip shifts (with a Shimano rear derailerj. It’s a triple on the front and 6 on the back.

She physically cannot change the front derailer and can just about manage the rear derailer (with difficulty).

Can I fit rapid fire shifters to this bike? If so, would appreciate if you can recommend any (not looking for anything expensive)?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

https://flickr.com/photos/77552172@N05/sets/72157692365396751

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm pretty sure Shimano never made 6 speed trigger shifters.

For the rear, the best you'll probably get are some old 6 speed SIS thumb shifters, or new ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Tour ... SwmphaFiM4

The front - pretty much any Shimano 3 speed left hand shifter will work. So any 7, 8 9 speed etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I'm pretty sure I can dig a left hand shifter for the front out of my stash.

If you want to try, just PM me and I'll look when it's light. No charge or anything. (I'll just bask in the glory when she wins Olympic gold.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    pps I might even have an old 6 speed thumbie. I'll look. But it'll be old and probably a bit cronky.

Another option might be to change the freewheel to 7 speed if it will fit, and get 7 speed trigger shifters.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • shooter999
    Hi Cooldad,

Thanks for the really generous offer and for the replies.

If I can get it it to work, it will really help my daughter, & another enthusiastic cyclist has got to be a good thing

I'll send you a PM.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Got it, will hunt tomorrow.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I switched one of our bikes onto the Shimano 6spd thumb switch. It's still reasonably tough to use, but was definitely an improvement on the grip shifter.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • shooter999
    A quick update.

Thanks to cooldad for his very generous offer (got to love the ethos / attitude of some forum members).

Managed to get it installed, and it is definitely a lot easier to change. Would recommend to anyone whose children are suffering with gripshifts.
  • cooldad
    No worries. Glad to help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    [Like button]
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Haha I think that's the first time you haven't insulted me or called me old.

You're getting soft.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Calling you old is factual and used as a term of endearment, not insulting.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Shooter999 wrote:
    Hi all,

Appreciate this may not be in the correct forum, but I’m hoping someone can advise!

We bought my 10yr old daughter a 2nd hand bike which came with SRAM max grip shifts (with a Shimano rear derailerj. It’s a triple on the front and 6 on the back.

She physically cannot change the front derailer and can just about manage the rear derailer (with difficulty).

Can I fit rapid fire shifters to this bike? If so, would appreciate if you can recommend any (not looking for anything expensive)?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

https://flickr.com/photos/77552172@N05/sets/72157692365396751
    My youngest two had the same issue. In see that from your pic the units were exactly the same as ones that i found were hard to shift. I went on ebay and bought some Shimano Revo shift units, they do them in most speeds. They were cheap and much easier to use than the nasty ones you currently have. Still require a certain grip but easier.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will