swapping Shimano BR-R561 brakes for 6800 ultegras

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi, i have a set if 6800 ultegra brakes i was going put on a new bike i got that came with Shimano BR-R561 ones. I've now read somewhere about these being "long drop" brakes. I'm a newbie in this area, can i just swap the two sets over without issue? I don't intend to ride with mudguards so that shouldn't come in to play with need for long drops.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You need to check if they reach the rims.
  • would it make much of a difference anyway if they could be swapped performance wise?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    If a frame or fork is designed for long drop brakes then standard brakes may not reach the rims even with the pads right at the bottom of the caliper arms.

Some frames are borderline, and it may just work, but you can also file down the slots in the caliper arms to make the pads go a little bit lower if it is close.

If you don't want to butcher the calipers, you can also buy offset holders which will have the effect of increasing the drop a little

A frame designed for long drop brakes will have plenty of clearance for mudguards, but whether or not you fit them has no bearing on the viability of standard calipers on such a frame.
  • bobones
    shiznit76 wrote:
    would it make much of a difference anyway if they could be swapped performance wise?
    If you've got 6800 shifters then the cable pull ratio will be matched to the 6800 calipers better than the BR-561, which follows an older standard (super SLR I believe).

By the way, I have just checked and BR-561 are not long reach calipers so the 6800s should fit.
  • bobones wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    would it make much of a difference anyway if they could be swapped performance wise?
    If you've got 6800 shifters then the cable pull ratio will be matched to the 6800 calipers better than the BR-561, which follows an older standard (super SLR I believe).

By the way, I have just checked and BR-561 are not long reach calipers so the 6800s should fit.

I've got 105 5800 shifters, will this be same pull ration as 6800's?
  • bobones
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Yes.
  • bobones wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Yes.

so if they aren't long reach calipers and if pull ratio of 5800's are same as 6800's then swapping the calipers shouldn't be any issue really?
  • bobones
    Yes, should be fine.
  • bobones wrote:
    Yes, should be fine.

Cheers, dude, very helpful with your info. This is a bloody minefield!