BTWIN TRIBAN 500 First Road Bike

TomAmateur
TomAmateur Posts: 5
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cycling (hence the username lol).

I'm hoping somebody might be able to give me an honest review of the B'TWIN Triban 500, or somebody more knowledgeable than myself will be able to let me know if I'm making the correct decision in going for the Triban 500 for my first road bike. Also would there be any tips on parts I should immediately upgrade?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 79069.html

I hope this gets a few replies!

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    TomAmateur wrote:
    Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cycling (hence the username lol).

I'm hoping somebody might be able to give me an honest review of the B'TWIN Triban 500, or somebody more knowledgeable than myself will be able to let me know if I'm making the correct decision in going for the Triban 500 for my first road bike. Also would there be any tips on parts I should immediately upgrade?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 79069.html

I hope this gets a few replies!

Thanks,
    Tom

Yup - just press the trigger and go for it. The Triban 500 rates highly in the budget bike listings and you'd struggle to better it at the price. Decathlon also get good reviews for their after-sales service. If you have a branch within easy reach just mosey along and have a test ride if you want to be absolutely sure.

Only negative in the minds of some purists on this forum is that it has a triple chainset which is viewed as being a bit "last year" Nevertheless as a beginner in the road bike world you will probably be thankful of that triple chainset until you have built up fitness and experience
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Yes, it's a very good bike for the money, but don't bother about upgrading anything. Spend your money on the essential tools, accessories and clothing. For example, you need to carry enough to be able to fix a flat tyre out on the road, and mudguards can make your ride a lot more comfortable in poor weather.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I'd change the brake pads straight away but other than that, go for it!
  • I'm with the others here, you aren't going to get anything better for the price and it's a bike well regarded by review sites.

I'd keep some money aside so that ridden the thing a few times and got used to the geometry you can change things like the saddle if your bottom isn't getting on with the one that comes with the bike.

In terms of upgrades it may be worth changing the pedals to ones which you clip into, in my opinion that's the single biggest improvement you can make in terms of efficiency. I'd only do that though once you're used to the bike.
    If you shop around you get get some Shimano M520 pedals and compatible shoes for £60-70.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    As above, I have a B-twin 520 as a winter bike and found it a very good bike for the money. Did a 90 mile ride last week when it was cold and no problem with the bike, not as good as my summer bike but no complaints at all. I don't think there will be a great deal of difference between the 2 parts wise etc. Buy it and enjoy.
  • Depending how tall you are the Triban 500 SE is on sale at decathlon In larger sizes only though .
  • I bought the 500SE as my first road bike and it is brilliant and great value. The best £260 I ever spent and will use it as my winter bike if I ever decide to get a better one. Go for it.
  • Thanks guys! Really appreciate the response from everyone! Can't wait to get It! Just have to wait for the cyclescheme voucher to come through now and then a trip up the M4 to reading to get it!

If I were to get new brake pads what ones would people recommend me to get?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Get the red one though, as obviously red bikes are faster!

(Disclaimer - technically, there is no proof that red bikes are faster :D )
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    TomAmateur wrote:

These should be fine as an upgrade without splashing too much cash

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-8la980 ... mano+r55c4
  • Get the red one though, as obviously red bikes are faster!

(Disclaimer - technically, there is no proof that red bikes are faster :D )

Haha that was my thought, for extra speed need the red with white stripes! :lol:
  • arlowood wrote:
    TomAmateur wrote:

These should be fine as an upgrade without splashing too much cash

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-8la980 ... mano+r55c4

Thanks a lot! Purchased ready for when I get the bike :D
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    They should make a massive improvement on the stock ones (which are rubbish).
    Enjoy your new bike!