New frame "preparation"

monsterguy
monsterguy Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!

I'm planning on buying a new frame (Cube) from Bike -Discount.de, this is not something I've done before.

I noticed that they sell a service "complete mounting preparation" which offers -

Head Tube: face milling
Bottom Bracket Shell: to rethread and face milling
Disc Brake Mount: face milling

Sooo...is that something I should be having done?

Just wanting to make sure I'm not paying for something entirely unnecessary.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bik ... tion-28567

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    monsterguy wrote:
    Sooo...is that something I should be having done?
    Possibly. The problem is you won't know if it needed it until you start assembling the bike. If you then start assembling the bike and find any of it needs to be done you'll have to stop what you are doing and take the frame to a bike shop to have it done, possibly undoing some of what you've already done. When I built my bike up I checked carefully as I was assembling it to make sure everything was well aligned, turned out it was ok. If the service is being offered I'd be tempted to take it depending on how much you value the hassle of having it done if it turns out to be necessary.
  • Okay that's probably all the convincing I need, just wanted to make sure it wasn't complete non-sense :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i'd just buy the frame and then get a local bike shop to do it for you that's if you need it doing. normally frame manufacturers face the bb and headset tube after painting to make sure the surfaces are completely flat I've noticed on bikes I've had etc.

before building the bike you might want to put some of that clear tape on areas where cables might rub and on the down tube etc to avoid the frame getting marked up.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’ve never been near needing a head tube checking, all are fully machined, occasionally BB shells aren’t finished, but of all the bikes I’ve built (12 now) only one needed it and it was only £20, personally I’d save the money and only do it if needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    swod1 wrote:
    normally frame manufacturers face the bb and headset tube after painting to make sure the surfaces are completely flat I've noticed on bikes I've had etc.
    My Kinesis and Cotic had not had that done after painting, can't be sure if it was done beforehand. Neither needed them doing so they were good as they came.
    Agree about taping and that, I did mine after cabling so I could see where the rub would be.
  • Ahhh...if it's something my LBS can sort if needed, then it's not much of a risk to skip it.
    Thanks for the additional input everyone :)
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I've bought a cube frame from there, I've not built it up yet, but it looks ready to go, everything looks well finished.
    Even if not its nothing a decent bike shop can't do.