Triple to 1x Conversion (8spd)

MissedTheBreak
MissedTheBreak Posts: 173
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Hi,

I only utilise this bike for commuting (largely down a canal path so fairly flat) and have just utilised the big ring and around 4 sprockets of the cassette depending how I’m feeling. The big ring is now shot (chain keeps slipping under pressure) so rather than change that, or just start using the middle ring I thought it would be a good chance to convert to 1x.

I spoke to someone at Wiggle and they said it wasn’t possible with a triple / 8spd but that’s not what I’d heard from other sources. However, I can no longer find said sources so wondering if I made it up (or it was related to MTB where probably more prevalent.

Any ideas from the tech gurus here?

Ta

Comments

• It would be impossible to convert to a 1 x 11. Your current derailleur may not cope with a 24 sprocket, but as you are only using a few of your existing gears, just get a new crankset and job done.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    For light offroad I would say you don't even need a clutch rear mech.

I used a standard Rival rear mech for cross for ~6 months and it was ok. I did get a Narrow-Wide chainring though. I don't know if 8 speed is compatible with 10 or 11 speed narrow wide chainrings as the width needs to be correct for it to work. If you can get hold one then I'd say that is all you need.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... w-wide.htm

This say it works with 9,10,11 and 12 speed chains, maybe ask them if 8 is also compatible?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just buy a ring and stick it in the middle position, assuming the rings are removable. Job done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks all, will check if the NW chainring will work with 8spd.

I assume the chainrings are removable, I’ve changed some of the chainring bolts before so assume that’s why they’re there. Question though, how do you put it in the middle position, do you need spacers to replace the missing inner and outer rings?

Cheers
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I think the reason the Wiggle guy was saying you can't do it with a triple is because the large and the middle ring have a common mounting system on the 5-arm spider so you effectively can't have one without the other, The small ring has a different BCD (Bolt Centre Diameter) and fixes to a different part of the spider

However if you're not too bothered about appearance then you could just leave the big ring in place and fit a new middle ring of the size you require (40/39/38) - there are smaller ones available if you wish

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/110-bcd-5-arm/

You could leave the small ring in place or ditch it - whatever you fancy.

So the sequence would be

! Split chain
    2. Remove non drive side crank
    3 Pull out chainset via drive side
    4 Remove small ring
    5 Remove middle and large ring from spider (you will need a special chainring spanner preferably)
    6 Reassemble with new middle ring
    7 Strip off front derailleur and associated cabling and shifter
    8 Refit chain to middle ring

Job jobbed

I've probably left some crucial step or steps out of the above but no doubt others will be along to flag up my omission(s)

Plenty of YouTube videos to guide you through the process if you need them
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    arlowood wrote:
    I think the reason the Wiggle guy was saying you can't do it with a triple is because the large and the middle ring have a common mounting system on the 5-arm spider so you effectively can't have one without the other, The small ring has a different BCD (Bolt Centre Diameter) and fixes to a different part of the spider

However if you're not too bothered about appearance then you could just leave the big ring in place and fit a new middle ring of the size you require (40/39/38) - there are smaller ones available if you wish

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/110-bcd-5-arm/

You could leave the small ring in place or ditch it - whatever you fancy.

So the sequence would be

! Split chain
    2. Remove non drive side crank
    3 Pull out chainset via drive side
    4 Remove small ring
    5 Remove middle and large ring from spider (you will need a special chainring spanner preferably)
    6 Reassemble with new middle ring
    7 Strip off front derailleur and associated cabling and shifter
    8 Refit chain to middle ring

Job jobbed

I've probably left some crucial step or steps out of the above but no doubt others will be along to flag up my omission(s)

Plenty of YouTube videos to guide you through the process if you need them

Nope, you just need to get short chainring bolts. I've used these on a converted double crankset when running on a fixed gear bike.

Something like this I believe:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/id-single-c ... s-00103085
  • My understanding is that converting a triple crankset to 1x simply means putting a narrow/wide chainring in place of the middle ring, for a good chainline, compared to converting a double chainset.

For the best part of a year, I used a 34T https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CROOTHTH/ ... -chainring with an 11-30T cassette, to convert my Voodoo from 2x to 1x for road use with an 8-speed cassette.

It was only when I discovered the ~20% peak gradient Dell Road last September that I went back to 2x, after I found I could climb it in 34-30 a few times, but my MAMIL knees would feel really sore in the evenings. Because I had kept everything in place besides the original 38T ring, reverting was simply a case of swapping rings back.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for the replies.

Superstar have just come back and confirmed that their NW chainring is not compatible with 8spd.

Does anyone know of anything that would be compatible or do they just simply not exist?