Specialized Allez Fork and Headset Advice

m___g
m___g Posts: 6
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
I'm planning a spring overhaul/upgrade for it my Specialized Allez 16 2014. Upgrading to 105, new wheels possibly some narrower bars and maybe a carbon seatpost. Not upgraded anything prior to this other than a set of Conti 4 Seasons and replaced the chain and a cable after it shredded to pieces inside my shifter.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... -2014/2J55

Whilst I'm upgrading bits and pieces I was considering my fork and headset. The fork is aluminium and I don't find the ride overly harsh but it is sometimes a bit rough. I'm trying to increase my distance on weekend rides at the moment, not sure if upgrading the fork would be noticeable/worthwhile in terms of comfort?

Looking at a couple of 1 1/8 forks available like the Ritchey and Tifosi linked below they both have a rake of 45 mm whereas the geometry chart here
https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/si ... -allez.jpg
says that the fork on my 54 cm frame has a rake of 57 mm, that seems like a pretty big difference.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-comp-carbon-road-fork/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tifosi-carbon-1 ... ike-forks/

Would either of those be compatible and is it even worth upgrading it? Or just not worth the hassle?

With regards to the headset would it be best to take it out and inspect/clean and then regrease it? Any obvious signs it would need changing? I haven't noticed my steering being particularly bad or anything so I assume it's all good.

Have tried to find out from googling what I could replace it with if needed. Would either of these fit?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-40-s ... h-headset/
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/specia ... gI73fD_BwE

I know there's the new bike option but I'm planning to upgrade this bike and continue to use it as a commuter/year round road bike then save up until I can afford something considerably nicer. I have also considered picking up a frameset to replace it but I don't know whether that would actually be worth it just for a carbon fork. I'm under the impression the allez frame is pretty decent anyway. Even if I did get a frameset, unless I bought second hand (which I don't mind), It's probably not within my budget at the moment when I add together all the upgrades I'm considering, e.g wheels, groupset, also some new shoes... all tots up :lol:

Any thoughts and advice appreciated!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Dude

What’s your budget - all parts Inc cables, tools you may need to buy, ny work that needs doing at shops?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • m___g
    m___g Posts: 6
    Dude

What’s your budget - all parts Inc cables, tools you may need to buy, ny work that needs doing at shops?

I’m fairly flexible budget wise. I’ve already picked up some wheels and I’d say for all the other components and tools to try and keep the cost below £700.
  • Your headset bearings will have a number on them somewhere, Google that and order some double sealed ones. If you can't find a number here are various bearing supplier with a find it selector: outside diameter, inside diameter, height and angle are what you need.
  • Matthewfalle
    Your headset bearings will have a number on them somewhere, Google that and order some double sealed ones. If you can't find a number here are various bearing supplier with a find it selector: outside diameter, inside diameter, height and angle are what you need.

or just go the Spesh shop and ask for some. Or take yours in to any shop and match them up.no need to make life complicated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    m___g wrote:
    Dude

I’m fairly flexible budget wise. I’ve already picked up some wheels and I’d say for all the other components and tools to try and keep the cost below £700.

I'm not sure I'd spend £700 on the Allez TBH - for only a little more you'd be better off getting a new 'best bike' with new, 2018 spec/components and using the Allez as a winter hack.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Svetty wrote:
    m___g wrote:
    Dude

I'm not sure I'd spend £700 on the Allez TBH - for only a little more you'd be better off getting a new 'best bike' with new, 2018 spec/components and using the Allez as a winter hack.

This.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I have an alley sport probably about 5 years old now and apart from wear and tear (tyres, chain etc) have never spent a penny on it. It still gives great service and my carbon bike at 5 times the price may look a lot nicer but I don't go any faster on it.

Obviously I don't know what level you cycle at but for the average Joe I have to question if the "gains" are proportionate to the outlay.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    You should be able to find the bearings fairly easily. I changed the open bearings in my Allez for sealed cartridge ones.
    I use my Allez for winter and poor weather riding but I love it. Such a capable and good frame.

As for the forks, you may be able to get a pair of allez ones on eBay etc
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    It seems like a lot of time and money, personally, I would just maintain the bike and for-go the upgrades. Spend the money on a new bike. You will never (NEVER) be able to acquire the after-market components at a cost anywhere near what the bike manufacturers can.

I have an Allez (2013) and it is a fantastic bike, Fast, Strong, Reliable. Full disclosure, I did upgrade the wheels but I can take those anywhere.

Cheers