TP ICAP L'Etape London - concerns on route

badgerbeaver
badgerbeaver Posts: 102
I just received the marketing blurb for the L'Etape London, and note that all routes cycle out of London using the Epping New Road, a fast main road.

If you are planning on doing the short version you will effectively be on urban or fast main roads for more than half of the ride, something to bear in mind.

I get why it is fun to start and finish the ride at the Olympic park, but this just seems a little silly. If you don't live in central London why would you tolerate that road and all the local traffic and traffic lights at the weekend, and if you already live in London why would you pay for the route out to Essex that you usually ride? Genuine question - I am at a loss as to who will enjoy that (significant) part of the ride.

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    I did it last year and the last 5 miles back to the start were a bit rubbish, but overall the route was decent, no problems heading out of London due to the early start. I wouldn’t let it put anyone off.
  • Mike wrote:
    I did it last year and the last 5 miles back to the start were a bit rubbish, but overall the route was decent, no problems heading out of London due to the early start. I wouldn’t let it put anyone off.

Fair play, I suppose early morning Sunday it isn't too bad going out, at least.

Good luck to everyone doing this event.