Arm Warmer Recommendations

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
I know it's a bit of a strange time to buy arm warmers but I tend to like buying things 'out of season' as you can frequently get good discounts.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good arm warmers? Preferably something with a wide elastic/silicone band that most mid to top range bib shorts use these days?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Prendas do some great meraklon ones. They never slip for me and I'm puny.
  • I did the same thing and got some Endura ones out of season last year. Very comfortable, good grip without cutting off circulation and, most importantly, warm!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I like either De Feet Armskins or some Giro Chrono ones.

In both cases, rather than having a grippy band, it seems as if the whole arm warmer is very stretchy and grippy so they seem to stay up much better.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I swear by Sportful No Rain arm warmers, especially if you have long skinny arms. No wide bands like you mention but they stay up with no issues.
    I put some holes in mine with an off, I stitched them up, but just bought a new pair for when the repairs finally fail.

Prendas Maraklon ones just wouldn't stay up for me.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I use Rapha and Castelli Nonflex arm warmers. The Rapha one's I've had for years and they still look like new, have used them a lot. I like to match my kit, so also have matching Rapha and Castelli leg warmers.
    Personally if I was buying now I would look at DHB Aeron Rain Defence. Over the winter I've bought two pieces of DHB kit for relatively low prices, was really impressed with the quality.
  • joey54321
    I have actually got a pair of the Castelli nanoflex arm warmers. While they are indeed very warm I find them both too long and too small a diameter. They're difficult to get on and they bunch up.

Are the sportful ones more 'average person' sized as opposed to 'classic italian climber' sized? The Endura ones do look good! Are they too warm for a summers morning? Very much an early spring/late autumn piece?
  • Depends how warm the summer morning is!

My view is that they are exactly what I'd want. I can go out wearing a short sleeved jersey and gilet and armwarmers and know that I can ditch the warmers and gilet if and when it warms up and feel right temperature wise.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I've got some Morvelo ones. I think they're the stormshield range. I'm very impressed with them - they do a good job.
  • Alex222 wrote:
    I swear by Sportful No Rain arm warmers, especially if you have long skinny arms. No wide bands like you mention but they stay up with no issues.

Yep, same here. Tried dhb and another brand I can't remember but for long skinny arms the sportful no rain are perfect.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    w00dster wrote:
    I use Rapha and Castelli Nonflex arm warmers. The Rapha one's I've had for years and they still look like new, have used them a lot. I like to match my kit, so also have matching Rapha and Castelli leg warmers.
    Personally if I was buying now I would look at DHB Aeron Rain Defence. Over the winter I've bought two pieces of DHB kit for relatively low prices, was really impressed with the quality.

This. Rapha merino wool and castelli nanoflex cover all the bases.
  • joey54321
    Drat! Unfortunately I also generally find in too sensitive to wear merino wool which rules them out too!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    joey54321 wrote:
    I have actually got a pair of the Castelli nanoflex arm warmers. While they are indeed very warm I find them both too long and too small a diameter. They're difficult to get on and they bunch up.

Are the sportful ones more 'average person' sized as opposed to 'classic italian climber' sized? The Endura ones do look good! Are they too warm for a summers morning? Very much an early spring/late autumn piece?

I use Castelli Nanoflex arm and leg warmers and also find them too tight if they're the right length. Great at keeping you warm and in the rain, but it does restrict the circulation a tad.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I have long, large arms. Sportful No Rain Light are nice but Maap are warmer.

Maap have zero waterproofing though.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    joey54321 wrote:
    Drat! Unfortunately I also generally find in too sensitive to wear merino wool which rules them out too!

The Rapha ones are ultra fine, I suspect you would be ok.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've had my Assos ones for years and they are wonderful.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Lidl, cheaper than a night out in Merthyr. Nice and warm.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    arm warmer recomendation - somewhere sunny.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • If you want to be a bit different check Svelte out. Otherwise I have always got the ones from Torm.
  • DeFeet Armskins