Reba SL lockout plug?

nozzac
nozzac Posts: 408
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of Rockshox Reba SL forks and the remote lockout cable was removed a while ago. The blue aluminium lockout ring thing is still there and can be turned manually. But the middle of it is open to the air (where the cable would have previously entered) and it always seems wet - I assume with oil since it's been undercover for 2 months and never dried out.

So is there something I can screw in there to block it and should there be any oil in that little hole anyway?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The cable wraps around the knob. It doesn't go in to the middle of the knob.
    Can you post a photo to show what you mean?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nozzac
    edited February 2018
    So there's a hole down the middle of the silver bit in the middle of the blue part.

WLx22h.jpg
  • nozzac
    edited February 2018
    double post
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That’s a crown adjust knob, there has never been a cable. Since 2011 that blue knob has been held on by a screw on the RL or the threshold adjust on an RLT so I presume it’s an older fork?

I think it’s an old RLT damper and the threshold adjust shaft has been pulled out, if so it’s a new damper.

This is what the whole top should be like if it’s an RLT.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2737568145
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    I have a similar fork and I'm sure all that is missing is a plug and o ring that goes in the hole.

The floodgate adjustment is down that hole (2.5mm allen key needed) and the plug stops crap getting in.

Not the best photos sorry but you can see it here:

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nozzac
    Thanks guys.

It is an old bike and the fork could easily be pre- 2011.

So I'm not sure....do I just get that kit from Ebay or is it missing this "threshold adjust shaft " thingy?

I'm pretty sure that when I took all the air out of both chambers and fully compressed the fork that some oil came out of that hole and there seems to be wet in it all the time, even though the bike's been under cover for ages.

I'm confused as to what to do next.
  • JBA
    Pull the rebound adjuster out of the bottom of the leg. It should have a hex shaft attached to it. Insert it in to the hole for the floodgate and you’ll be able to tell if it engages with the adjuster. Or just use an Allen key.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is a slightly later Reba damper on ebay right now, better damper and £25, plug and play.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockshox-Reb ... 1438.l2649
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.