RideLondon 2018

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited February 2018 in Commuting chat
No for me :evil:

Anyone want an unused size L lightweight waterproof?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    No place for me either.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Magazines out today are they?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Nor Me.
    Thankfully.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Me neither, but a friends little boy is in GOSH at the moment getting treated for leukemia and so I'll probably do it for charidee anyway as it's a very worthy cause.

5 years with out getting in the ballot now, annoying.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    First time I entered, and a no for me also. Fairly relieved, as the logistics of getting there and back from the shires would have likely been a mare.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    If anyone is looking for a charity place then have a look at my sig for the charity that me and the missus run in memory of our boy and drop me a PM if interested. I'll be riding again - so will buy you a beer after. Last year of our charity bond places...
  • MA no for second year in a row :| what would u receive in post if u r successful?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Nor Me.
    Thankfully.

Well, just been reminded that my charity of choice needs riders.

Squiggled on that dotted line.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • MA no for second year in a row :| what would u receive in post if u r successful?

An inflatable sheep.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I've never ridden it and never bothered trying to enter but come early July I usually can't move in my office for wide-eyed lard-ar$es trying to give away their entry as they realise the event is upon them and they haven’t done a spot of riding all year.
    FCN = 4
  • mattsaw
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I've never ridden it and never bothered trying to enter but come early July I usually can't move in my office for wide-eyed lard-ar$es trying to give away their entry as they realise the event is upon them and they haven’t done a spot of riding all year.

The problem being, unless they have wildly over-estimated their ability you'll end up with a 9am start time and spend 100 miles trying to think up different variations of "on your left" and "excuse me"
    Strava
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I got in - fourth time in five years :oops: I think they must be low on the early-forties-woman demographic.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the odds are definitely better for women from what I've seen.
  • mattsaw
    It's also weighed on location, so a male living in Surrey aiming for a good time is fighting an uphill battle to get in.
    Strava
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Yes. My friend from the Isle of Wight gets in every year despite being a middle class MAMIL.

They really should take past success rate at getting a ride into account.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    It's quite something reading about the success rates of some folks, another no this year meaning I have had that rejection magazine each and every year since it started. :shock:
  • dov2711 wrote:
    It's quite something reading about the success rates of some folks, another no this year meaning I have had that rejection magazine each and every year since it started. :shock:

50:50 for me.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    100% success rate for me. Applied once, got in once. Not going to apply again as the hassle of getting to and from the start line outweighs the pleasure of the ride.

Also, there is not guarantee of completing the full 100 miles. Every year, apart from the first year, they have had to shorten the route for lots of participants due to accidents, medical emergencies and weather. I can only count it as 100 miles as my 8 mile ride to the start line offset the 8 mile shortening of the route to get around a medical hold-up on Leith Hill.

If the London Marathon was shortened on such a regular basis, it would not be counted amongst the best in the world.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    100% success rate for me. Applied once, got in once. Not going to apply again as the hassle of getting to and from the start line outweighs the pleasure of the ride.

Also, there is not guarantee of completing the full 100 miles. Every year, apart from the first year, they have had to shorten the route for lots of participants due to accidents, medical emergencies and weather. I can only count it as 100 miles as my 8 mile ride to the start line offset the 8 mile shortening of the route to get around a medical hold-up on Leith Hill.

If the London Marathon was shortened on such a regular basis, it would not be counted amongst the best in the world.
    If you’re as slow as shit, and you get a late start time, you make your bed, and lie in it. I Always put a ball breaking effort in before the hills, and thus far, have never been shortened.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    mrfpb wrote:

Mate did it last year and got the full distance ?
    You can't really compare it to the marathon. A bike crash can be fatal and the only way through is the road that's full of bikes
    For the marathon you could whizz an ill runner away pretty quickly.
  • mrfpb
    cougie wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

You can't really compare it to the marathon. A bike crash can be fatal and the only way through is the road that's full of bikes

I made the comparison because one company organises both events. The issue on RLS100 is not the participants, its the chouce of route. Hard to access roads full of bikes. And I didn't say nobody does the full 100 miles but a significant number don't. Unless your in the early waves it becomes a lottery.
    I did enjoy the event, and I thought of applying again to do the whole route, but on balance it's not worth the hassle when compared to other events I've done and other events I could do.
  • cougie wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

That’s the thing. When the brown stuff hits the fan, in the RL100, you have many thousands of bikes, converging on the problem, they take up more room, because you’ll have them all converging on the point, quickly. So there is no ‘drip feed’ ( the flow is much greater) than with a bunch of runners. By the time a FUBAR runner is sorted, there isn’t the time for quite so many people to have arrived at that point, than the situation with a cyclist.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Always missed out on the ballot but got in via club entry last year. I enjoyed it because I did it as a 'race' and it was a challenge to stick with the front group and be one of the first over the line.

As a 'sportive' type ride, I don't think I'd bother. Although not without a few cool bits it's too expensive and too many people not helped by all the freeloaders. And I'm not sure how fair the ballot is, I know people that have got in several times versus thouse who've not got in at all in numerous attempts despite buying the kit.

The only upside is probably the obligatory Daily Mail article the day after about how OAPs were outraged and confined to their homes.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Been away for a couple of weeks, came home to find the commiserations magazine and jacket.

I've applied every year and got in once, in 2014, when it tipped it down and the route was shortened to 84 miles.

Was the worst ride I've ever done in terms of accidents (other people), having to get off and push/stand around in the road until accidents had cleared and delays. Took me 2 hours to get into the "official" car park, by which time i'd missed my start time and my friends. Took my bike out of the car to find a puncture and my pump broke, whilst i was pumping up up the new tube
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I’ve never had a clear ride yet. This is my 4th go ( on my own place ). It’s been big crashes ( other people ) and medical emergencies. The 2 biggest hold ups were due to a fatality on Leith Hill, and the fatal crash at Pyrford a couple of years ago ( it wasn’t an immediate fatal, but the guy still needed a helivac)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb wrote:

If you’re as slow as shoot, and you get a late start time, you make your bed, and lie in it. I Always put a ball breaking effort in before the hills, and thus far, have never been shortened.
    I’ve never had a clear ride yet. This is my 4th go ( on my own place ). It’s been big crashes ( other people ) and medical emergencies. The 2 biggest hold ups were due to a fatality on Leith Hill, and the fatal crash at Pyrford a couple of years ago ( it wasn’t an immediate fatal, but the guy still needed a helivac)

??
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    edited February 2018
    More twists and turns than a Curly Wurly.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrfpb
    Pinno wrote:
    More twist and turns than a Curly Wurly.
    And we aint talking about Box Hill.
  • Yes we are riding for the Spinal Injuries Association, first time for me and our team, looking forward to it.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mrfpb wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

If you’re as slow as shoot, and you get a late start time, you make your bed, and lie in it. I Always put a ball breaking effort in before the hills, and thus far, have never been shortened.
    I’ve never had a clear ride yet. This is my 4th go ( on my own place ). It’s been big crashes ( other people ) and medical emergencies. The 2 biggest hold ups were due to a fatality on Leith Hill, and the fatal crash at Pyrford a couple of years ago ( it wasn’t an immediate fatal, but the guy still needed a helivac)

??

Like I said, if you’d actually read what I posted I’ve never had the route shortened on me, The year of the hold up on Leith wasn’t a shortening for me, as I was already on the hill when it happened, so I got by, albeit after a delay, same thing at Pyrford, a couple of years back. I got to the corner by the church about 5 minutes after the ride was held for the medical crews, and still got to the hills, before any diversions happened. As per usual the same small bunch of troll posters ( who don’t even ride bikes, so WTF are they even doing on a bike forum) are trying to look clever, and making themselves look like even bigger tw@s :lol: