Bash guard - Worth it?

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
On the new build I've got a 1x11 SRAM setup and just wondered whether it's worth sticking a bash guard on it or not?

The frame has the mount holes to do it and I can see from the clearance it might be useful. Not really bothered on previous bikes and never suffered any problems.

Any thoughts?
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    slc123 wrote:
    Not really bothered on previous bikes and never suffered any problems.

Any thoughts?

Haven't you answered your own question there?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • slc123
    JBA wrote:
    slc123 wrote:
    Not really bothered on previous bikes and never suffered any problems.

Any thoughts?

Haven't you answered your own question there?

Sort of... but looking for other peoples experiences also to help me on a more informed decision. Also something to discuss whilst I am sitting at work on a boring afternoon :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you regularly crunch over rocks and logs, maybe.

I've put some on bikes I've converted from 3x to 2x. Mainly because it saves me hunting in my shed for short chainring bolts.
    And I've got a bunch lying around.

I did actually buy a carbon fibre one for my Rumblefish. unfortunately it just looks like a cheap shiny plastic thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Depends on where you ride. Your other bikes, which did not have one, where they 3 or 2 chain ring set up? Chances are you 1x11 has 34-30t chain ring which will be smaller than 3 ring (42) and 2 ring (36).
  • slc123
    02GF74 wrote:
    Depends on where you ride. Your other bikes, which did not have one, where they 3 or 2 chain ring set up? Chances are you 1x11 has 34-30t chain ring which will be smaller than 3 ring (42) and 2 ring (36).

Mainly 3x on the other bikes. I think my plan will Be to give it a few rides and see how it fairs. My current bike has faired ok on most of the trails I ride so it probably makes sense that I should be fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With a direct mount chainring fitting a bash isn't possible, you could fit a Taco though (fiexed bash off the ISCG tabs or by the BB).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123 wrote:
    On the new build I've got a 1x11 SRAM setup and just wondered whether it's worth sticking a bash guard on it or not?

If you have a 1x11 specific derailleur (stronger spring) and proper narrow-wide chainring, you're all set.
    The less parts on your bike, the less trouble you will have.
    Easier to clean, and if you chain decide to drop just stop, put it back to chainring and continue riding.
    You don't want to have a bent chainring caused by a chain caught between a too stiff chain guide and the chainring, forcing you to disassemble and fixing everything on the trail (true story).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

If you have a 1x11 specific derailleur (stronger spring) and proper narrow-wide chainring, you're all set.
    The less parts on your bike, the less trouble you will have.
    Easier to clean, and if you chain decide to drop just stop, put it back to chainring and continue riding.
    You don't want to have a bent chainring caused by a chain caught between a too stiff chain guide and the chainring, forcing you to disassemble and fixing everything on the trail (true story).
    You seem to be confusing a bash guard for a chain guide, not the same thing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    I've decided to run nothing in the end... the clearance is pretty good and even over logs and rocks I've not had any issues yet. I'll save the expense... feels like another thing for all this english mud to get stuck in anyway!
  • I always that part of the bash guard idea was to stop your flesh getting ripped apart by the chain ring?