Garmin 1030 or Wahoo Elemt

Segovia999
Segovia999 Posts: 11
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
I am sure this been discussed before.

I want to upgrade from my Garmin 520 which apart from the battery life has been very good.

Reading the reviews on Wiggle sales for the Wahoo I had more o less made the decision to opt for the Wahoo this time; however, the reviews elsewhere on the 1030 seem very positive.

The extra £100.00 does not bother me too much if the price wasn't an issue what would you buy?

J

Comments

• As a Bolt owner, the 1030. The Wahoo is brilliant, but if money is no object, and you don't mind large, go for the aesthetic of the 1030.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ericbayarea
    ericbayarea Posts: 16
    edited February 2018
    I've owned 3 Garmin units in years past. I bought an Elemnt (not Bolt) a year ago and absolutely love it. For me, my cycling computer is just that - for cycling. I like the non-color display as it shows up in sun very well, shade just fine and isn't affected by polarized glasses. I really like the zoom feature for my metrics on one page and the Strava live segments work very well.

My sense is that the Garmin is likely better (pure speculation) at maps and directions. I have used my Elemnt several times when I wanted to ride a route I hadn't done before. I would draw the route in Strava and my Elemnt downloaded it just fine. The Elemnt is not so great at letting me know WHEN to turn but I was able to follow along on the map page pretty well. It worked fine but if you need a lot of navigation and directions while riding, Garmin may be a better choice.

Big pros for the Wahoo: Screen visibility in sun, ease of set-up from a smart phone, very simple to use, receives updates regularly.
  • At the moment my head says Wahoo but my heart says Garmin and I will use the maps and directions capability of the Garmin. I also like the idea of the route creation but I have no idea how good this is on the Garmin.
  • At the moment my head says Wahoo but my heart says Garmin and I will use the maps and directions capability of the Garmin. I also like the idea of the route creation but I have no idea how good this is on the Garmin.
  • Isn't the 1030 something like £300 more expensive then a Bolt, not £100? That's a serious chunk of money which can be spent on nice bike bits.

I love my Bolt but the 1030 does do more, it depends if things such as creating routes on the fly are important enough to you to spend £300 more.
  • I would need to buy the bundle as I am assuming my Garmin devices would not work with the Elemnt

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-elemnt-gp ... igodigital

And my mistake the1030 is £200.00 more not £100.00
  • You wont need the bundle if you already have heart rate monitors etc. Either will pick up what you have. I got a bolt 2 weeks ago after my Garmin 1000 started playing up.

For me, bolt plus points:
    The bolt is substantially cheaper.
    Battery life is way better.
    I didnt like the button placement on the 1030 with them move to the bottom of the screen from the top where they are on the 1000. This would make them hard to operate with the already large unit being close to the bars.
    It has a feel of a device that just works and needs less fiddling than my old Garmin (but thats because it does also appear basic in comparion, like an old Nokia compared to a Smartphone in some ways).

There are some things that bug me:
    When minimizing the amoubt of data on the screen, after 3 fields it goes to 5 fields but leaves a blank space in the bottom left corner that could have easily had another field in it. I dont mind 5 fields. I dont like an empty space though!
    I cant see my di2 battery without selecting the device and looking up the status. My garmin just had a field for this.
    The live segment screen is a waste of time whilst you cant customise it. It wont show power. Really, whats the point in that!
    I do find the screen harder to see compared to the Garmin screen, and I havent even had it in bright sun yet.
    Getting mounts can be a problem if you are running any sort of integrated aero bars.
    It needs wifi to upload. You cant really use this device without a phone, so why cant it just use the phones connection?

I am happy with my choice, primarily based on what I spent on the device but it wasnt the total revelation a lot of reviews make it out to be
  • It's a good solid device that mostly just works, as you say. It always uploads first time. Always turns on. Never freezes. It's neat, tiny, it works. It's definitely not a revelation but it is fairly complete. Can't compete on bling though.

I wonder that that Hammerhead is going to be be like...
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Thing with Garmin is, that no matter how good the 1030 might be now, you can more or less guarantee they will cock it up with a firmware update sometime soon. Wahoo doesn't suffer with that repetitive problem like Garmin. The B&W display is clear as a bell in bright or dark lighting and fortunately for me, the hidden buttons on the Di2 shifters somehow get me additional pages that show the Di2 battery life. Its simple enough though to check your battery before you go out and takes 20 mins to charge it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    My Bolt uploads through my phone connection at the end of a ride. Well, the Strava workout appears in my feed before I have had time to get the first pint in, and I don’t have a WiFi connection at the pub, just the phone.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • I wonder that that Hammerhead is going to be be like...

I was going to suggest it could be worth waiting for that, considering high end bike computers should last quite a few years. However, I just checked out DCRainmakers most recent Hammerhead video on youtube and it still looks pretty buggy...that can always be improved but one thing he mentioned that I didn't realise was that it has no audible notifications. Might seem like a small thing to some but I find them really handy when navigating and don't want to be constantly checking the computer to make sure I haven't missed a turn, pretty much made it a no go for me.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    You wont need the bundle if you already have heart rate monitors etc. Either will pick up what you have. I got a bolt 2 weeks ago after my Garmin 1000 started playing up.

It needs wifi to upload. You cant really use this device without a phone, so why cant it just use the phones connection?

What? It doesn't need WiFi. Can upload rides via WiFi or via Bluetooth to Phone App, both work fine.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Struggle to see how in any world a 1030 is good value @ £499 vs an Elemnt @ £249 or Bolt @ £199.

Given both Wahoos have worldwide mapping and miles better interface, you're just paying for a colour screen which isn't necessary anyway.
  • yes , I am leaning back towards the Wahoo, if my HRM and Cadence sensor works with it then I think the Whaoo wins. Plus if I don't like it I am sure I'll be able to get a decent price for it on ebay
  • Wahoo will work with any ANT+ or Bluetooth peripheral (HR, Cadence, Power, etc.) as well Garmin.

I was using my really old Garmin HR monitor (ANT+) with my new Elemnt for over a year before the Garmin HR eventually died. Then I bought a Wahoo HR sensor ;-)
  • I don't have a speed sensor with my Garmin but there is one available with the Wahoo, do I need one?
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I have been using an Elemnt after having been on the Garmin journey for years. I hated the 520, couldn't get used to it after the Garmin 510.

Wahoo blows the Garmin 520 away (I know this is not the model you are considering), it's so intuitive, setup is done on the phone app & it makes thing so easy. I also like the LED lights for effort and the map function is top class.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Segovia999 wrote:
    I don't have a speed sensor with my Garmin but there is one available with the Wahoo, do I need one?

You don’t need one for outdoors riding as the Wahoo will use GPS. You can use one if you like, which offers a more robust speed signal than GPS through, for example, trees and tunnels. The speed sensor will be needed for a turbo.

I have the speed sensor because it came as a bundle with the HRM and cadence sensors, so I use, it. It is currently on the road bike but I keep meaning to swap it to the MTB to cover the tree thing, as a while back I kept losing GPS on a particularly tree-ey ride.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Great, I wasn't sure if it was needed. You have explained it perfectly. The bundle price seems good value as I will use the HR monitor, I keep on forgetting to put it on when I go into the garage for a turbo ride so a spare HR monitor isn't a bad thing.