Vector 3 pedals issue

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited August 2018 in Workshop
After much searching for a reliable dual sided, easy to swap between bikes power meter I thought I had found the answer with the vector 3's.

Purchased just before Xmas they seemed to be not only accurate and consistent but also reliable.

However, had to change the batteries on Friday and on yesterday's ride the right pedal signal kept dropping. First it took forever to wake up, then cadence and power kept dropping before eventually stopping all together.

Assumed perhaps a dud battery so changed when I got home but today had exactly the same.

Quick search on the garmin forum and this seems to be a common problem which is raising its head as users change the batteries for the first time.

Have contacted garmin and will wait for their response.

Why oh why is it this hard to find a reliable easy to switch between bikes power meter??
Powertap p1 were awful, 4iiii worked for a few months before stopping, tried a pioneer but that didn't work from the off, stages constant drops.
:evil:

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    batteries picked may not be giving the right voltage. If I buy cheap CR2032 batteries they give this issue or dont last more than a few hours. dura cell CR2032 batteries work well so just buy good batteries. garmin cant be blamed for the cheap stuff from poundland that is crap.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I’ve read about the issue. Seemingly there is a hard to see insulation layer in the battery compartment which can damage easily during a battery change. Easy fix is to tape up the batteries before inserting. Have a search on the Garmin forum for details.
  • redvision
    batteries picked may not be giving the right voltage. If I buy cheap CR2032 batteries they give this issue or dont last more than a few hours. dura cell CR2032 batteries work well so just buy good batteries. garmin cant be blamed for the cheap stuff from poundland that is crap.

It's not the batteries themselves.
    I ordered direct from garmin and had extra LR44 batteries included as part of the order (they actually included 10 free of charge).
  • redvision
    I’ve read about the issue. Seemingly there is a hard to see insulation layer in the battery compartment which can damage easily during a battery change. Easy fix is to tape up the batteries before inserting. Have a search on the Garmin forum for details.

Trust me, I've scoured the net for a solution.
    The tape only seems to have worked for a couple of people but not many.

I will wait and see what garmin say. Tbh though what a cr@p design if a simple change of battery can cause such an issue.
  • redvision
    Just an update.
    Garmin have responded and provided an RMA number. They have assured me I will have a replacement set within 7 workings days.

They said they are working hard to find out what has caused the issue that some users have experienced and they are confident the replacement pedals will not suffer the same problems.
  • Good news. I am close to pushing the button on a set of these pedals. This issue had put me off a bit but if they have a permanent fix that’s great.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Good news. I am close to pushing the button on a set of these pedals. This issue had put me off a bit but if they have a permanent fix that’s great.

I can't recommend Favero enough.

I have used BePros daily for two years without an issue. 30 hour battery life, USB charging, 4 hour low battery warning (enough to finish most rides), no power spikes or drop-outs, just perfect operation.

I would get their latest incarnation the Assiomas without a doubt over Vectors; they're much cheaper too.

I want a pair but the BePros are too good to warrant the expense of switching.
  • redvision
    Good news. I am close to pushing the button on a set of these pedals. This issue had put me off a bit but if they have a permanent fix that’s great.

TBH before this i was more than happy with them.

If the issue does turn out to be an easy fix or just a dodgy batch or something then i would have no problem recommending them. However if more reports of a failures after changing the battery appear, including those who have received replacement pairs, that's a different matter ... :?
  • redvision
    So my replacement set have also failed.

Worked perfectly for the first two weeks but on Monday they wouldn't calibrate, and the right pedal wouldn't connect.
    Tried again yesterday but same issues.

Been in touch with Garmin and followed all their suggestions, including sending them various .fit files, but nothing worked. They have asked for them back but said that it may be several weeks before i get a replacement set as they are out of stock and have a lot of orders (i'm assuming they mean warranty replacements) to meet.

Really really p!ssed off.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    I used a magnet to pull out the old batteries and replaced carefully. All OK so far ( fingers crossed )
  • redvision
    PK1 wrote:
    I used a magnet to pull out the old batteries and replaced carefully. All OK so far ( fingers crossed )

Count yourself lucky. I also tried the magnet trick. I followed this advice from garmin to a tee but they still failed :evil:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en ... c8#battery
  • atcdavis
    atcdavis Posts: 8
    Hi all

Just had a conversation with Garmin about this having experienced the same issue. They seem pretty casual about admitting that the product is very fragile and suffers a pretty basic flaw. They're also clearly hoping most people will just try magnets and oil and be content. Will definitely be pushing them for a new pedal once they have a fix though otherwise I can't see them being much use in 4-5 years when the inside of my pedal is full of oil!

Here's the conversation:

Alexander: Last few weeks my right Vector pedal keeps disconnecting. I have now had to unpair and disable it and just use one side. I have tried changing batteries, re-connecting and re-pairing

Anthony: Hello, thanks for contacting Garmin. You're speaking to Anthony.

Anthony: Okay what version software is it running on?

Alexander: I assume the latest as it was recently updated through my Garmin Edge and in the app says it's up to date

Anthony: support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en- US/faq/content/J1EgCFrqIo0utFYW1CGT c8#battery

Alexander: Just looking through this now

Alexander: Ok - that's a bit crazy to get my head around. I will try this at home. Is this a temporary solution?

Alexander: It seems like a very complex process for changing some batteries

Anthony: This should in turn resolve the issue

Alexander: So is it just the case that the pedals are very sensitive with an easily damaged seal and require oil to be applied with a toothpick in order to work properly?

Anthony: Correct

Alexander: And so is there going to be a proper solution to this soon? These are £800 pedals surely they weren't designed to required this process?

Anthony: Yes

Alexander: Ok - when will that be? Will this be a replacement part? Will I be notified?

Anthony:If the issue continues after you have tried in the link then report back to us

Alexander: But can you tell me when a proper solution will be in place? I'm not comfortable applying oils not originally intended for the product every time I change batteries as that will inevitably cause problems in the long term which could damage them further. I need to know when I will be provided a working component.

Anthony: This is something the technicall teams are looking into at the m,oment there is no time frame but we need you to try this

Alexander: Yes, I will try this as a short-term fix but I do still expect to know when the problem will be properly resolved. So will I be notified once a solution is in place?

Anthony: Yes well report straight back to us once you have done this

Alexander: Ok I'm not sure we're saying the same thing here. I will do that but my question is if I will be notified once a proper solution has been found. I won't be happy with keeping the pedal if I have to apply oil to the batteries every time. So regardless if whether this fixes it for now I want to know when there will be a proper solution and if I will be contacted. I get this might sound like I'm being difficult but for a component this expensive I expect things to work properly without the need for botch fixes

Anthony: Yes if worse comes to worse we can look at repalcing the pedals for you

Alexander: Well yeah if it needs oil to work I'd say it needs replacing! I'll get back in touch then. Thanks
  • rfreese888
    rfreese888 Posts: 39
    I have had same issue. Tried tape and oil solution, still not working. Spoke to Garmin and they said go to retailer for replacement pedals as they are having stock issues. I asked how do I know if this will be resolved with replacement pedal from retailer? Have the pedals been modified so that the root cause is resolved? Got very vague answer. They are now sending me replacement battery doors due to arrive in few days by UPS. I will try that. If no success then will look to replace via retailer.

Does anyone know if I just want to get a refund and try a different power meter can this be done?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The powertap pedals were crap as well. Seems manufacturers have problems when trying to contain all the bits inside the pedal body...my garmin vector 2's are fine with the pods.
  • redvision
    Tbh the only pedal pm which seems to be reliable is the favero assioma.

Not tried a set yet but I am thinking about it.
  • Ian_d
    Ian_d Posts: 69
    I had the same problem after I changed batteries, tried tape and oil as had been suggested, but the right pedal was "missing" and many drop outs on each ride. On another forum I read that someone had tried a different battery ( CR1/3N ) so I gave them a try and surprise surprise right pedal found, no drop outs and that was 6 weeks ago. The battery is one unit that is the same size as 2 x LR44.
  • rfreese888
    Updated firmware and replaced both battery doors (after ordering one online and the other over the phone - why they did not sent 2 not sure). After quick test seems the issue is resolved but will know more after longer ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
  • rfreese888
    rfreese888 wrote:
    Updated firmware and replaced both battery doors (after ordering one online and the other over the phone - why they did not sent 2 not sure). After quick test seems the issue is resolved but will know more after longer ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Batteries the new pedals came with died after using with new battery doors only. Seems a short battery lifespan of c. 1 month. No issues with cutting out.

Replaced batteries and since then seeing the signal drop and spikes in power both outdoor with Garmin head unit and indoor using trainer road software on iPad. Did not see right power dropped errors just off / on drops.

WTF?
  • phmt
    phmt Posts: 52
    Hi all,

I had the original vector 3 which where completely replaced in June 18. the new ones have the new battery doors.

I've had 48 hours use and then a low battery signal.

I've not done anything yet with them I am going to use until battery stops and then probably take back for a refund. the original issue doesn't look like it has been fixed fully.

I can't see any issues with power spikes etc

I'd be interested to see if I'm the only one or maybe I just got crappy batteries in June replacement pair.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Probably just dead batteries. When my original LR44s died after 64 hours (low battery warning started appearing after 39 hours) I took a punt on these cheap CR1/3Ns from Amazon (6 for £9) and I've now had 80 hours faultless use from the 1st pair, and the voltage reported in the activity files has not dropped below 2.83v so still plenty of life before low battery warning @ 2.60v. I changed my original set of LR44 when they dropped to 2.45v so I am expecting well in excess of 120 hours from these.

EX-Energy CR1/3N