BB30 confusion...

vpnikolov
vpnikolov Posts: 568
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Hello,

I will try to keep it short and simple.

Have a supersix evo (obviosuly BB30) with Quarq Exogram (plus Quarq Dfour) on it - cranks are BB30 too.

Looking into the possibility to change the frame (get Canyon Aeroad) and use an adapter to fit the crankset as Quarq are not offering any replacement cranks in a different system (in this case - GXP). Now... my understanding is that Rotor PressFit 4130 will do the job, but wanted some reassurance from people here before I pull the trigger and make the purchase.

According to Quarq's website, this is the crank compatibility: GXP, Press Fit GXP, BB30, Press Fit 30, BBright, BB386EVO, BB30A, PF30A

Will this work???

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Slightly confused. Are you hoping to fit a BB30 crankset into a GXP BB using adapters? If so it won't work. You can convert the BB30 BB to GXP, but not the other way around. the BB30 axle is too big.

Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Slightly confused. Are you hoping to fit a BB30 crankset into a GXP BB using adapters? If so it won't work. You can convert the BB30 BB to GXP, but not the other way around. the BB30 axle is too big.

Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.
    I might have confused matters a bit...

Apparently the Aeroad has BB86 and a PressFit 4130 will allegedly do the job. My question is if anyone has ever had experience with this? Does it actually work?
  • Okay, so Quarq are proving again their customer service is second to none. I can change the cranks and get GXP, so no need to wonder how to make this fit.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If it were me, I'd buy a frame with a BSA BB shell. And that's not me being flippant, that's me trying to offer sound advice.

All this press fit nonsense... well, it's nonsense.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    If it were me, I'd buy a frame with a BSA BB shell. And that's not me being flippant, that's me trying to offer sound advice.

Any examples of such frames? If there is one thing I don't understand much, that is bottom brackets...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Any examples of such frames? If there is one thing I don't understand much, that is bottom brackets...

Manufacturers can change between BB types. I have two road bikes from the same manufacturer, one is BSA English thread and the other BB386 EVO.

I run a P2M on a Rotor 3D24 in the BB386 EVO. I used a Rotor 4624 BB instead of using adapters, so in answer to your original question, yes, you could have done it. Obviously Quarq have solved the problem for you.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    4130 will work
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just be warned that rotor 4130 press fit bearings can get water/ corrosion in them quite quickly, especially if your frame doesn’t have a sleeve in the bottom bracket. Mine became rough in just over a year, with very little wet weather riding. I have since swapped to a cBear Ceramic BB which is superior in every way...

PP
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst the 4130 forks will allow you you to fit a 30mm spindle crank to your Canyon frame, it's likely that the spindle on your cranks will be too short - however, you may be able to get a longer spindle for your cranks. The Canyon frame uses a BB86/PF41 BB which is ~86mm wide whereas the Cannondale BB is 68mm wide:

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/02/bottom- ... standards/
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Just be warned that rotor 4130 press fit bearings can get water/ corrosion in them quite quickly, especially if your frame doesn’t have a sleeve in the bottom bracket. Mine became rough in just over a year, with very little wet weather riding. I have since swapped to a cBear Ceramic BB which is superior in every way...

PP
    Purely out of interest, which exactly is the BB you got from cBear?
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Whilst the 4130 forks will allow you you to fit a 30mm spindle crank to your Canyon frame, it's likely that the spindle on your cranks will be too short - however, you may be able to get a longer spindle for your cranks. The Canyon frame uses a BB86/PF41 BB which is ~86mm wide whereas the Cannondale BB is 68mm wide:

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/02/bottom- ... standards/

I have decided not to complicate my life and will get a GXP crankset from SRAM.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP
    Purely out of interest, which exactly is the BB you got from cBear?

BB86 to fit my Colnago C60 and Concept Threadfit 82.5 bottom brackets.

PP