Commuting tyres for CX bike

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited February 2018 in Commuting chat
So with the impending cold snap about to hit i need to swap the tyres off my CX bike for something that actually rolls as they are DEEP mud tyres.

any ideas?

Land cruisers?

Also, this will probably become my regular commuter but all road riding.

Comments

• Go big go wide. But nothing will help in the cold snap. Snow is slippy, some tread will be better than others. Ice is slippy full stop.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • 28mm GP4 seasons on my c’dale CX for my commute. Think you can also get them in 32mm.
    Bit pricey but seem to be holding up well without any visits from the one we won’t mention.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I use Vitoria Voyager Hypers on mine, 32mm and roll well. Hopeless on mud or wet grass but great on road and fine on hard pack trails. No good on ice but I still ride through the park when it’s below zero without any real problems. If it’s snowed I defer to the MTB. Be fine in London though, think you’re London based as I recall.
  • I've never felt as confident in chilly conditions as I have recently on 38mm 45Nrth Gravdals, they were £35 each from CTBM ~13 months ago. Good for training too at lower pressures (40/60PSI today), extra rolling resistance on top of the ~750g weight per tyre up the ~1200 of climbing on the way home. :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    35mm Schwalbe G-One Speed are awesome. I don't notice any difference in speed between them at 50psi and the 25mm Conti Seasons at 100psi on my road bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I’ve been slightly dissapointed with my experience of big tyres, I had landcruisers, they were so slow and heavy they had to go straight away. I’ve got 37c hyper voyagers on now and they’re really (really) fast but not as comfortable as I’d have hoped, not hugely grippy and I don’t think they’ll last half as long as my old Duranos.

I think when these need replacing I’ll be going back down to something around 28-30c
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spasypaddy
    thanks for all the suggestions so far, but what about the Continental Cyclocross Speed Bike Tyre, anyone with any experience?

or something with that kind of tread pattern
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    thanks for all the suggestions so far, but what about the Continental Cyclocross Speed Bike Tyre, anyone with any experience?

or something with that kind of tread pattern

Friend has that on his CX bike, he liked them though I don’t think he’s pushing them hard.

I personally rate the x-ones, seem fast and grippy matches or better my times on strava when I had a full roadie.

remarkably resistant to punctures compared to other CX tyres. I’ve yet to rip the sidewall which has been the fate of all other CX tyres, they are expensive and wear quickly. There is a x-one speed that is semi slick?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've heard that the CX Speed is fast but fragile, after using other conti tyres that have been described as such (i'm looking at you ultra sports) I wouldn't want them near a commuter.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Schwalbe CX Comp in 35C or 38C - cheap and plenty robust. Halfords sell them for £13 each.
    You must be mad to spend £30+ on a commuting tyre
  • I run a Gravelking sk 38mm tires .. All season .. super comfortable
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Panaracer over everything....

I’ve had the lot and shall be sticking with Gravel Kings for the foreseeable future.

I have both the slick and SK versions and rate both.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Schwalbe X-Ones allrounds if you still hit mud/offroad. I am on allrounds, might switch to Speeds (X-one or G-One) in the spring.
  • spasypaddy
    cheers everyone i went schwalbe cx comp, for £9.99 a tyre i cant go wrong
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Schwalbe CX Comp in 35C or 38C - cheap and plenty robust. Halfords sell them for £13 each.

Bit late to the party I know but IMO it's always worth spending on decent tyres. The difference between good and bad tyres being a fun ride and a sketchy/unforgiving/slippery one. Just my opinion obvs but I like to enjoy my riding - even the commuting!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    trek_dan wrote:

Bit late to the party I know but IMO it's always worth spending on decent tyres. The difference between good and bad tyres being a fun ride and a sketchy/unforgiving/slippery one. Just my opinion obvs but I like to enjoy my riding - even the commuting!
    The CX comp is a decent tyre for being inexpensive and rigid bead. Its not a real heavy commuter specific tyre like a Marathon Plus or Gatorskin which I would agree are fairly awful to ride on. Personally I can't see the point in spending a lot on commuting or training tyres, waste of money.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    trek_dan wrote:
    Personally I can't see the point in spending a lot on commuting or training tyres, waste of money.
    I don't like to spend a lot on tyres either, so I tend to look for a decent tyre that's on offer and will buy before it becomes a distress purchase. I paid £14.99 each for my last pair of Vittoria Hyper plus tyres reduced quite substantially in a PX sale. Decent folding tyre that seem to roll well, have decent grip and last ok. I know grip and longevity can be a bit of a trade off against each other but I found them a good compromise at a good price.
  • +1 on the gatorhate... I tried the hardshell things and bleeeurgh they were horrible!

Don't get me wrong, it's not the spending money bit that I enjoy! And I do like picking up bargains to keep a decent stock