Cervelo C3 Ultegra

Monty1
Monty1 Posts: 19
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Pondering a new bike. The C3 has been suggested. Would anyone have any experience of this bike, please. I am after what the marketing machines call a sportive/endurance bike. Alternatives include Synapse and Domane - carbon.
Thanks.

Comments

• chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Great deals on last years c3 at sigma.

I'm looking at the same type of bikes and thinking I will get the focus paralane. Well worth a test ride if you can. My lbs will do a 2018 ultregra model for 2300.

Cannondale is great but prefer the Shimano cranks.
    Specialized I didn't like the future shock
  • Monty1
    Monty1 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am also considering the Parlane. A better value package, by the looks.
    Aiming to stick with 2018 models.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    The 2017 c3 is the same groupset/frame etc just diff paint job but 1200 quid cheaper.

Check out orro terra, looks great in the flesh.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I bought one of the sigma 105 deals a few weeks back. I was tempted with the ultagra one but they only had last years ultegra. I’ve just put 8070 onto the C3 and it’s actually cost me less money to buy c3 105 +R8070 than to buy the C3 ultegra from Sigma.

C3 is lovely, a really nice frame. I’ve got an R5 as well so I’m a bit cervelo biased but it’s a lovely stiff, endurance frame. Well recommended, it’s a very stable, comfy yet stiff bike. Pick up one of the 105 models if they still have them and swap the groupo/wheels out. You then end up with a very nice bike.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    If you can find a 2017 C3 ultegra it’s a great bike for the money, not cheap but it’s a lovely ride, will take full guards and 28mm+ tyres. sigma wereselling them at almost half price
  • JSpencer1
    JSpencer1 Posts: 102
    Got myself a 2017 1x Rival. Love it. Sigma are only places left selling them I believe. They told me they bought up all old 2017 stock. Hence 14 availability in my size!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i've just bought a brand new 2018 C3 Ultegra Di2 for £2400 :D
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    moonshine wrote:

Where ?
  • moonshine
    moonshine wrote:

Where ?
    Velocity 44 in Stirling are having a 2018 Cervelo sale at the moment - mainly 54/56 sizes R3 R5 C3 etc at 30% ish off -
    you have to call for stock and prices.
    G
    https://www.facebook.com/18120445523040 ... 107935913/
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I had two Cervelo's, an S1 and S2. I liked them both a lot but looking bike thought they we're a little over priced at the time.
    Having said that recently I was deciding between the S3 and a Giant TCR. I went with Giant but only just.
    There's something about the brand Cervelo that I like.
  • moonshine
    I had two Cervelo's, an S1 and S2. I liked them both a lot but looking bike thought they we're a little over priced at the time.
    Having said that recently I was deciding between the S3 and a Giant TCR. I went with Giant but only just.
    There's something about the brand Cervelo that I like.
    I have a 2012 S2 with internal routed 10sp Dura-Ace Di2 and a 2015 P5-3 with 10sp Dura-Ace Di2 as well, so i like the Cervelo marque
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    moonshine wrote:

Where ?

Wow that's a great saving. I guess 2019 bikes due out soon. Although the 2018 R3 has barely been out for a few months, there were so many delays.
  • moonshine
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Wow that's a great saving. I guess 2019 bikes due out soon. Although the 2018 R3 has barely been out for a few months, there were so many delays.
    Yes, the shop is clearing stock for 2019 models. But the White grey black C3 Ultegra Di2 remains unchanged for 2019.
    They have (had anyway) S3, S5, R5 C3 and P3 to shift.
  • Jon777
    Jon777 Posts: 19
    moonshine wrote:

That’s got me tempted, totally unsure of my sizing though, think I would be a 58.
  • robbytres
    robbytres Posts: 13
    I've been riding one of these quite a bit for the last 7 or 8 months. Really nice bike, the stock wheels are OK for tubeless, found them a nightmare for normal inner tube set-ups, lovely light and comfortable frame, the standard saddle I found needed replacing pretty quickly. The mudguards compatability - yes it will take mudguards but you do need the cervelo mounting kit, about £20 i think. It will be my winter bike for the forseeable future running 28mm tubeless.
  • moonshine
    robbytres wrote:
    I've been riding one of these quite a bit for the last 7 or 8 months. Really nice bike, the stock wheels are OK for tubeless, found them a nightmare for normal inner tube set-ups, lovely light and comfortable frame, the standard saddle I found needed replacing pretty quickly. The mudguards compatability - yes it will take mudguards but you do need the cervelo mounting kit, about £20 i think. It will be my winter bike for the forseeable future running 28mm tubeless.
    @robbytres
    what wheels did your C3 come with that you are you running tubeless?
  • robbytres
    robbytres Posts: 13
    Moonshine they are HED Ardennes Plus GP disc
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    moonshine wrote:

Is that di2 ready?
    I thought the c3 di2 disc was about just under £5k?
  • Jon777
    Jon777 Posts: 19
    TheFog wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

Is that di2 ready?

Think it’s usual price is around £3.8k ish
  • moonshine
    TheFog wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

Is that di2 ready?
    RRP for C3 Ultegra Di2 is £3899
  • moonshine
    robbytres wrote:
    Moonshine they are HED Ardennes Plus GP disc
    Thanks.... Cervélo must have changed the wheel set on 2018 models to the mavics then...
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Could one of you c3 owners let me know how many mm of spacers are supplied between the head set and stem please, the reach and stack are within 5 mm for my measurements
    I think I might treat myself to one
    Many thanks.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Has anyone used the mudguard mounts for the C3/C5?

It seems to be hard to find a nice carbon frame for winter duty that mounts mudguards and takes flat mount discs. So far there is just the Genesis Datum, Cervelo C3/C5 and BMC Roadmachine 01/02.
  • moonshine

It seems to be hard to find a nice carbon frame for winter duty that mounts mudguards and takes flat mount discs. So far there is just the Genesis Datum, Cervelo C3/C5 and BMC Roadmachine 01/02.
    I picked up my C3 today and it has the removable mudguard eyes - look pretty smart TBH.... I'll try fitting the guards next month or so - I'm in no rush to put them on but they look pretty good.
  • moonshine

on my 54, there is 5mm headset above the top of the headtube - I have my stem on this and there is 40mm of spacers above the top of the stem at the moment - I'll trim the excess down after I've ridden it a bit.
  • lincolndave
    moonshine wrote:

on my 54, there is 5mm headset above the top of the headtube - I have my stem on this and there is 40mm of spacers above the top of the stem at the moment - I'll trim the excess down after I've ridden it a bit.

Thanks moonshine, I will be ordering one next week, I want 10 mm inbetween the headset and stem,
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    I have a 2017 c3 ultegra. Came better specced that 2018 though older version of ultegra and rota chainset. That said, HED wheels and FSA SLK finishing kit is good.
    Have a synapse as a winter bike. Taller front end than synapse so more adjustability and more upright position if that is what you are after. Much stiffer than the dale and through axles are much better.
    If the post above is correct recommend travelling north and biting their hands off at those prices!! C3 is a great bike and the new pricing is more sensible. Bought mine with 40% off so was happy but wouldn't have paid £4000 for one.
  • lincolndave
    Has any owner bought any mud guards for their C3 yet, just wondering what makefit well
    For 28 mm / 30 mm tyres
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904

Trek Domane. Takes up to 32mm with full mudguards.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • moonshine
    2018 C3 deals here at Velocity 44 - they have limited stock, but had a 56? C3 ultegra in stock at the weekend
    https://www.velocity44.com/m20b0s6p7269 ... A-22G-2018