8 speed block with a 10 speed derailleur?

Icrashbeautifully
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi everyone,

Apologies if many others have already asked this, but I just bought a very early 90's Raleigh, and the tiny cassette has already wrecked me! I'm looking to fir a Shimano 8/9 speed 11-34 block at the back, and I've also seen a good deal on a long cage derailleur: But the derailleur is Tiagra, and a 10 speed!
It's fitted with indexed friction shifters, will I be able to do this?
Thanks in advance...

Comments

• What rear spacing is on your 1990's Raleigh. Measure between the rear lugs. To fit anything more than 6 speed, you will need 130mm spacing I believe.
    Are the indexed shifters on the downtube? How many speeds on them?

I'd think the Tiagra derailleur should work o.k. with the indexed shifters though.
  • Dump the friction shifters for modern handlebar shifters and use these cable stops on the downtube

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2451376550
  • What rear spacing is on your 1990's Raleigh. Measure between the rear lugs. To fit anything more than 6 speed, you will need 130mm spacing I believe.
    Are the indexed shifters on the downtube? How many speeds on them?

I'd think the Tiagra derailleur should work o.k. with the indexed shifters though.

130mm rear spacing, with indexed shifters on the downtube. I've not checked how many speeds are on the shifters, I wouldn't know how!
  • 130mm rear spacing, with indexed shifters on the downtube. I've not checked how many speeds are on the shifters, I wouldn't know how!
    How many clicks does the rear shifter take to go from one extreme to the other. The number of speeds is one more than the number of clicks.
  • The pull ratio on the existing index shifters will not match the new cassette. They will have to go.