Knee issues treatments

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
Hi all,

Today I’ve came home with my left knee MRI results: Type II internal meniscus degeneration and type II retropatellar choroplasty.

I’m probably not alone here, so I’m very eager to ear how you’ve been dealing with this kind of lesions and still riding.

Any advise will be very appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    All I was told after x-rays years ago was arthritis in both knees, is that similar?

Since then I've taken glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin (from Healthspan or Zipvit), which cured hair loss too. Speedplay pedals fitted. Kept saddle not low and riden 100s miles solo. I Wear Orthaheel sports in most footwear. Last few years I also running 15ish miles a week. Loads of hip based strengthening and various stretching exercises. All no problems.

So basicly, do what you can and spend what you can. Good luck.
    Ps. I on Strava proof of above. https://www.strava.com/athletes/10795144
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • naavt
    TrekVet wrote:
    All I was told after x-rays years ago was arthritis in both knees, is that similar?

Since then I've taken glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin (from Healthspan or Zipvit), which cured hair loss too. Speedplay pedals fitted. Kept saddle not low and riden 100s miles solo. I Wear Orthaheel sports in most footwear. Last few years I also running 15ish miles a week. Loads of hip based strengthening and various stretching exercises. All no problems.

So basicly, do what you can and spend what you can. Good luck.
    Ps. I on Strava proof of above. https://www.strava.com/athletes/10795144

Not quite the same thing but good to know. I've been on glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin when I used to run often. I thing I'm going back to it just to see if I become to feel better. Thanks
  • I have very similar symptoms in my knees and have had 2 operations to date with the surgeon telling me after the 2nd operation age 48that I would be facing a knee replacement sooner rather than later. I started to take glucosamine sulphate on a daily basis along with a daily cod liver tablet. This has made a huge difference over the last 6 years ( will hit 54 this year). I can now walk in the evening without being completely seized up. Have really worked for me. I think they take a time to work into the body and you must keep going with them. Some people report some stomach problems to begin so go easy and perhaps take every other day for the first few weeks.1500 mg glucosamine in the morning is what I take. I take the cod liver about 5 days out of 7 now. Hope helps!
  • naavt
    I have very similar symptoms in my knees and have had 2 operations to date with the surgeon telling me after the 2nd operation age 48that I would be facing a knee replacement sooner rather than later. I started to take glucosamine sulphate on a daily basis along with a daily cod liver tablet. This has made a huge difference over the last 6 years ( will hit 54 this year). I can now walk in the evening without being completely seized up. Have really worked for me. I think they take a time to work into the body and you must keep going with them. Some people report some stomach problems to begin so go easy and perhaps take every other day for the first few weeks.1500 mg glucosamine in the morning is what I take. I take the cod liver about 5 days out of 7 now. Hope helps!

Just bought a glucosamine + chondroitin complex on my way home. I'm starting at dinner. Thanks for the tips.
  • Jmq4
    Jmq4 Posts: 4
    Maybe not what you’re looking for, but my knees suck and have for ages. Add in an occasional gout attack and my knees are trashed - had one scoped a couple of years ago, other needs it too, but insurance wouldn’t pay for both at the same time. Sorry, long story short, I recently switched to speedplay light action pedals with tons of float and haven’t had knee pain from riding since. Maybe coincidence, but I honestly don’t believe it is.
  • naavt
    Jmq4 wrote:
    Maybe not what you’re looking for, but my knees suck and have for ages. Add in an occasional gout attack and my knees are trashed - had one scoped a couple of years ago, other needs it too, but insurance wouldn’t pay for both at the same time. Sorry, long story short, I recently switched to speedplay light action pedals with tons of float and haven’t had knee pain from riding since. Maybe coincidence, but I honestly don’t believe it is.

Curious that you mention that. I’ve recently (about a couple of weeks), changed my pedals and cleats because of that. 15 degrees of float. I’ve considered Speedplay but went for Crankbrothers instead just for the sake of walkability.

I’ve yet to make more kms to judge the benefits for my knees though.
  • Jmq4
    Jmq4 Posts: 4
    Speedplays are 15 degrees too. Weird at first coming from Shimano yellow even though the yellows are 6 degrees, but seems to have made quite a bit of difference for my knees. Hope you find the same with your CBs.
  • Let us know how it goes in a few weeks naavt. Fingers crossed it makes some difference.
    BW
  • naavt
    Let us know how it goes in a few weeks naavt. Fingers crossed it makes some difference.
    BW

I’ll give some feedback in a few weeks. Thanks.
  • The big difference with the speedplay pedals is that the 15 degrees of float it totally free with not resistance - if you leave all the adjusters wound on it feels like your feet are on ice.

I'm 44 (just about still) and ruptured the meniscus in my left knee in 1998 in a MTB accident and it was all doom and gloom from the surgeon. I stopped riding for 11 years and got fat - really fat. Then I started riding again and got a bit less fat but still had the odd twinge in the knee so switched to speedplays and have had no issues since.

Both my knees are full of arthritis and cause me day to day pain but cycling is good for keeping the supporting musculature strong which helps with the pain and I also take Omega 3 oil and glucosamine sulphate. I've been told I (k)need a replacement joint but putting it off as long as I can due to the limited lifespan - if things get that bad I'm getting an e-bike.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    lateral release at 50 due to damage to kneecap and tracking issues. Took up cycling but knee pain with Crank Bros, SPDs and Look pedals. Tried Speedplay - now doing 140mpw on turbo and have done 1.6mile hill reps in a 52/12 gear with no issues.
  • naavt
    stevewj wrote:
    Took up cycling but knee pain with Crank Bros, SPDs and Look pedals. Tried Speedplay - now doing 140mpw on turbo and have done 1.6mile hill reps in a 52/12 gear with no issues.

Thank you both for your testimonials.

@stevewj: did you felt such a major improvement with Speedplays over CrankBrothers?
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    naavt wrote:
    stevewj wrote:
    Took up cycling but knee pain with Crank Bros, SPDs and Look pedals. Tried Speedplay - now doing 140mpw on turbo and have done 1.6mile hill reps in a 52/12 gear with no issues.

@stevewj: did you felt such a major improvement with Speedplays over CrankBrothers?

yes - the free float means that there is no spring tension pulling the leg towards a central point so it can genuinely float. If I look down at my leg during a pedal stroke I can see the foot move about a bit on the pedal completely unrestricted allowing the leg to align itself as it wants to.
  • stevewj wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    stevewj wrote:

yes - the free float means that there is no spring tension pulling the leg towards a central point so it can genuinely float. If I look down at my leg during a pedal stroke I can see the foot move about a bit on the pedal completely unrestricted allowing the leg to align itself as it wants to.

I think that is the big thing that some people miss - the float is totally free as there is no tension in there at all.

Just wondering how you set you Speedplays up stevewj?

I tried mine with full float to start of with but like I said it was like riding on ice cubes especially out of the saddle. Over time I adjusted them to fit my wonky knees.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • thebosh
    thebosh Posts: 8
    Make sure to protect your knees as much as possible from shock as this can cause so so many problems.
  • Stuart46
    Stuart46 Posts: 26
    I have problems with knees, I discovered the solution the wrong way.
    My crank needed replacement, so I fitted a new one with 175mm arms, thinking more leverage more power. WRONG a disaster, one ride and my knees hurt so bad I could hardly walk,
    So I did a little research and found out crank length is crucial for knee health, by reducing the acute angle of the knee at the top of the stroke.
    Now you cant buy short cranks (except kiddie ones) so I bought left and right 9/16" taps online, had my crank drilled and tapped in a machine shop and reduced my crank length to 150 mm, I expected a slight reduction in power/speed, but no in fact I was riding faster if anything, after a week no knee pain.
    I dont use clipless I use flats now, in truth I found no advantage to being clipped in, only perhaps when racing and then only when trying to accelerate.
    Shorten those cranks.
  • Stuart46
    To add to my previous post, on shortening crank arms, it possible that oval chainrings could help, I dont have a lot of money being on a small pension, I suppose I will have to save up.
    Rgards
  • naavt
    Stuart46 wrote:
    To add to my previous post, on shortening crank arms, it possible that oval chainrings could help, I dont have a lot of money being on a small pension, I suppose I will have to save up.
    Rgards

Last bike filter told me the same, and I went from 175 to 170. Every angle is as it should be so that part is well cared of.

I’m feeling better. I’ve started a glucosamine + chondroitin regime for a week now. Doing about 30/35kms/day on a turbo trainer since the weather is awful outside. Prepping for a sportive at the end of April. Let’s see how my knees will be when the time comes.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I had a very similar diagnosis about 8 weeks ago. Problems started last year when I basically over trained and neglected to listen to an obvious imbalance on my left side. I basically lost most of the 2nd part of last year and lost my mojo. Eventually I got referred for an mri which showed degenerative medial meniscus on the left knee but no tear or ligament damage. Part of me was relieved - part disappointed that an op wouldn't fix me!

I'm on with rehab which basically consists of strengthening the left side of my body with particular emphasis on the hip, glutes and hamstrings. Iive bought a set of rollers in order to focus on cadence and pedalling efficiency. I've done 10 sessions on them now. Mostly fast spinning but gradually lifting the watts. It's noticeable that my l/r balance is ok up to about 140W but beyond that it progressively gets harder to keep L=R. Of course most people will have a degree of imbalance but I figure its this weakness which leads to a deterioration of form as I fatigue.

The rollers are hopefully also helping my core and I can managed a drink from the bidon now ! I also find it slightly more engaging than the turbo for now partly as you have to concentrate more. It's going to be a long road back but I feel that I am starting to make some progress. Must resist temptation to push too hard too soon and try and secure a sustainable recovery. Only aim this year is to get back riding uninhibited and more balanced.

One thing this really tells me is that strength and conditioning training is vital at my age and fitness level so need to build it into my regime. Easier said than done.
  • Stuart46
    Sh!t only now I found out, glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin did not work for me.
    What does GELATINE I take 2 to 3 tablespoons a day (many ways to take it) it is only a week now since I started but already I am noticing a real improvement.
    How come no one told me about this before.
  • naavt
    Stuart46 wrote:
    Sh!t only now I found out, glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin did not work for me.
    What does GELATINE I take 2 to 3 tablespoons a day (many ways to take it) it is only a week now since I started but already I am noticing a real improvement.
    How come no one told me about this before.

Regular gelatine? The one from the grocery store?
  • Stuart46
    Yes. But not the carragreenan stuff, "bone gelatine" I believe you can also buy hydrolysed collagen.
    But I'm using ordinary store stuff.
  • Stuart46
    Gelatine
    Be careful though eat too much, and it can cause stomach upsets, as I found out a couple of days ago.