New dropper post won't drop

jsisidore
jsisidore Posts: 123
edited March 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Model KS Eten. No cables only lever. I can push in/retract it with the lever but it won't go by itself.
What's the philosophy behind these gizmos, is there a break in period or it's just knackered?
It cost me 60 quid shipping from Germany, I'll be damned if I will have to return it. The dropper post market is very dry for 27.2 seat posts but it is exactly what I have on my hardtail unfortunately.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Not sure what you mean? If it goes up and down when you press the lever then it’s working ok?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You push the lever and push down with your backside.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    It will drop under pressure when you press the lever. If you then take the pressure off it and press the lever it should return.

If you are worried it’s not working send it to jungle products they do all warranty repairs on KS posts in the uk. They will fix it for you if it does need it.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not sure whether
    1/ You think it should operate using ESP, although Magura have a dropper with wireless operation the brain implant to bypass the switch is still under development
    2/ Expect it to be a suspension seatpost which while very superficially similar is fundamentally different.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Christ I know how to unlock it but it locks as soon as I release the lever. I will have another look at the lever mechanism after I come home, maybe I missed something, the manual that came with it was for the remote ones that I can't find for 27.2 seat tube, stoopid.
  • The Rookie
    Of course it locks as soon as you release the lever, when else would it lock? How would you stop it where you wanted it (or another way how does it know when its at the height you want it at)? Not everyone (very few people) ride either fully up or down, many use intermediate positions which is why they are available that way, the cheap ones are the only ones with preset positions.

No reason the instruction would be any different for the 27.2, they all use the same internal cartridge.

I sympathise with your self assessment, no harm done.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I would suggest you look at this: http://www.kssuspension.com/wp-content/ ... guages.pdf

It covers the remote and lever droppers
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • JGTR
    jsisidore wrote:
    Christ I know how to unlock it but it locks as soon as I release the lever. I will have another look at the lever mechanism after I come home, maybe I missed something, the manual that came with it was for the remote ones that I can't find for 27.2 seat tube, stoopid.

Of course it locks when you release the lever, that’s the whole point of having a dropper post
  • JGTR wrote:
    jsisidore wrote:
    Christ I know how to unlock it but it locks as soon as I release the lever. I will have another look at the lever mechanism after I come home, maybe I missed something, the manual that came with it was for the remote ones that I can't find for 27.2 seat tube, stoopid.

Of course it locks when you release the lever, that’s the whole point of having a dropper post
    It should bounce regardless where my hands are. Just like the fork does. I don't have to hold a lever for the fork to work.
  • The Rookie
    No, that’s a suspension post not a dropper, a dropper is a height adjustable fixed post, a suspension post very different as per my first post above you clearly didn’t read.

Stoopid? You’re very early for 01/04/18.

A suspension post https://www.bike-components.de/en/XLC/S ... st-p39801/
    No lever.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Of course it locks as soon as you release the lever, when else would it lock? How would you stop it where you wanted it (or another way how does it know when its at the height you want it at)? Not everyone (very few people) ride either fully up or down, many use intermediate positions which is why they are available that way, the cheap ones are the only ones with preset positions.

No reason the instruction would be any different for the 27.2, they all use the same internal cartridge.

I sympathise with your self assessment, no harm done.
    What harm are you talking about?
    I just gave it a long thought and I think I got misinformed. I thought dropper post work at the same principle forks do, but it appears they are just for quick height adjustment.
    I had suspension posts before and they look practically the same, I though the name is just a marketing gimmick.

Now question is do I really need it over what I really wanted?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No, that’s a suspension post not a dropper, a dropper is a height adjustable fixed post, a suspension post very different as per my first post above you clearly didn’t read.

Stoopid? You’re very early for 01/04/18.

A suspension post https://www.bike-components.de/en/XLC/S ... st-p39801/
    No lever.
    I wasn't calling you stupid. Chill out.
  • The Rookie
    So who were you calling stoopid?

As for harm, none to us.......I assumed it was a self assessment, seem to be right.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    So who were you calling stoopid?

As for harm, none to us.......I assumed it was a self assessment, seem to be right.
    Well not you mate relax you're very clever and handsome and not insecure. I meant the uninformative manual. I like the sound of stoopid, I will use it regardless of what you tell me.

OK with that out of the way I've done my research which is usually done before the purchase and I think a dropper post makes a lot of sense, lever design is alright I guess since I'm not racing. On the good note at least it's not broken lol
  • JGTR
    Classic :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Brilliant. What part of dropper post sounds like suspension ?
  • The Rookie
    And google before making a total ass of yourself....or at least read the replies!
  • jsisidore
    cougie wrote:
    Brilliant. What part of dropper post sounds like suspension ?
    English is not my native language so words sounds like nothing to me until I find their definition, then I get adjusted to them. So when I saw a picture of it I instantaneously thought it's a rear suspension because I had one before and because I had no concept of a device with such a simple function.
  • jsisidore
    The Rookie wrote:
    And google before making a total ass of yourself....or at least read the replies!
    I will decide what I make of myself an ass or otherwise. Thank you very much.
  • The Rookie
    You appear to have not decided this time, it’s just sort of happened!
  • philkeeble
    philkeeble Posts: 109
    Never be afraid to ask a stupid question, that's how we learn. Don't be offended by 'insulting' replies, they always appear much worse written than when they are spoken face to face because you can't read the body language that goes with the reply. And your English is waaaaay better than any other language that I've tried to learn!

I've had 63 years of asking dumb questions and have learned enormously from the experience.

And I'm just about to ask another one on the subject of dropper posts as I've just got my first one.

Phil
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie