Renewing gear cable Campag Athena HELP

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Don't want to sound daft but I have a problem changing the gear cable on my Athena groupset (campag novice!)

So I had a very slight down shifting issue and decided to renew the rear gear cable. Set it all up and found the rear mech would upshift but only down shift (to the smaller rings) two cogs then would not move down any further. I re-routed the cable again and now the rear mech wont downshift at all.

Is it possible the shifter was in the wrong position when I threaded the inner gear cable through? It is possible to "reset the shifter" to the lowest gear without a cable being fitted as it seems this is what I need to do if you understand what I mean.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Yes reset shifter to the highest gear (smallest cog) position by clicking button all the way down. Then clamp cable.
  • bmxboy10
    Just tried that and it makes no difference ;(
  • mercia_man
    It should work. I had the same issue years ago when I first got indexed Campag. It took me a few goes at first to get it right,

Here's edited instructions from my Chorus 10 instruction manual. Put chain on smallest cassette sprocket with control button zeroed - pressed down as far as it will go. Clamp cable under rear mech. Position chain on fourth sprocket counting from smallest. Turn cable adjuster until centre of top roller and centre of fourth sprocket are exactly aligned. Check chain moves smoothly to all cogs. Check derailleur positions chain on largest sprocket. If not, turn stop screw until it does. Do same with smallest sprocket.

Edit: as you click button to zero position, pull on end of cable to prevent any slack in system.
  • mercia_man
    One more thought - check none of your gear ferrules have popped out of position, effectively changing the length of the cable outer.
  • bmxboy10
    Its like the shifter is locked in one position. I shall try again tomorrow thanks for the input ill let you know what happens.
  • mercia_man
    Good luck. Hope you sort it. You could try pushing the lever as many clicks as it will go,and then trying the button to see if things free up. Another possibility - make sure the hood rubber is located properly after replacing the cable as it could perhaps foul the button's operation.
  • bmxboy10
    No idea what the issue was but I stripped it down and put it back together all seems ok now!