Shimano RS685 Intermittent Upshift Issue

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited February 2018 in Workshop
I'm having and issue with my rear (right) RS685 shifter on upshifts (i.e. going down the rear cassette). I swing the inner lever in to shift but every 2nd or 3rd time it doesn't seem to engage but just keeps swinging all the way in with no resistance. Anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    2plus2 wrote:
    I'm having and issue with my rear (right) RS685 shifter on upshifts (i.e. going down the rear cassette). I swing the inner lever in to shift but every 2nd or 3rd time it doesn't seem to engage but just keeps swinging all the way in with no resistance. Anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?

Are you riding with thickish gloves when this happens. Only ask because I had the same issues some time back on a non-hydro Dura Ace RH shifter. Phantom movements of the inner paddle with no response from the rear derailleur. Bit like an "air shot" in golf???

I was advised to be careful making upshifts with gloves on as your finger can inadvertently catch the outer (brake) lever and just nudge it enough to prevent the ratchet releasing the cable to allow the shift to progress. I was careful after that and the problem disappeared.

Just one thought to consider but there may be others - dirt in cable inner, frayed cable etc.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes - if you push both levers together, it does this. If you catch the other lever at the start of the swing it can engage the mechanism and do this even though you are only pushing one lever any distance. With gloves at this time of year, its more likely that you catch the other lever. Or maybe there is something in the mechanism engaging that mechanism when you havent touched the other lever - I guess that might be possible.
  • 2plus2
    2plus2 Posts: 53
    Thanks both, I was aware of the issue as you describe it (where you catch the brake lever as well), I thought because I knew that was an issue, I was being careful to not do it, but maybe I've not been careful enough. I feel like it's happening more often lately. I'll ride later without gloves for a bit to see if it improves things, it was -3° this morning here so I have been wearing thick gloves!