Dropper post issues

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I bought a second hand dropper post (KS Cruxi) for my bike and after fitting I noticed it drops when I sit on it regardless of the cable tension. My LBS don't know how to fix it as it's a sealed unit and they just mentioned sending it back to KS, which I am not sure I can do as it's second hand.

What are my options? Pay for a service that will cost £60+, buy a new one that is cheaper like the Brand-X or is there something I can do myself?

Thanks
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• Where did you but it from? id it was Ebay you may have some come back if it was described as working but obviously isnt. You can open a dispute with ebay to say it isnt as described.

Other than that, your options are fairly limited, i would have a look on the KS website to try and find a manual to see what you will be faced with if you open it up. If you're just going to chuck it its worth having a go at fixing or servicing it yourself first.

You could also ping an email off to KS and see if they have any suggestions or tips to help.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Does it drop if the cable is totally released?

Also nothing to prevent the lock lever from going to fully locked position?
  • slc123
    02GF74 wrote:
    Does it drop if the cable is totally released?

Also nothing to prevent the lock lever from going to fully locked position?

Nothing preventing the lock lever and I’ve adjusted the barrel adapter to make sure it’s correct. It doesn’t drop with a little pressure on it say pushing with your palm, but as soon as you sit on it it just starts to slowly move until it’s at the bottom. LBS think it needs a service, but I’m slightly apprehensive as jungle products who deal with distribution in the uk charge £60 and I wondered whether it’s worth it or just getting a different one brand new.

I did get it off Ebay about 3 months ago, so will have to check if there is any recourse there.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Cruxi uses an internal cartridge that is activated by a pin on the end of the piston shaft, I’d strip it down and remove that and see if it just needs a clean up, otherwise it’s a new cartridge.

It looks very similar to the Giant dropper and that’s an easy DIY service.

Cruxi service video bottom left of this page, also under support you can get the parts breakdown.
    http://www.kssuspension.com/support/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    If it makes you feel any better the KS Lev on my brand new bike does the same, disconnected the cable and it’s the same. Wouldn’t be quite so frustrating if the one on my other bike wasn’t in pieces too. I don’t know how similar they are but I’ll update if the shop offer any solutions other than sending it back. Tempted to post them both back and buy something else
  • slc123
    HaydenM wrote:
    If it makes you feel any better the KS Lev on my brand new bike does the same, disconnected the cable and it’s the same. Wouldn’t be quite so frustrating if the one on my other bike wasn’t in pieces too. I don’t know how similar they are but I’ll update if the shop offer any solutions other than sending it back. Tempted to post them both back and buy something else

Ended up sending mine back to Jungle products who do all the KS warranty fixes in the UK. Hopefully they can sort it out. I'll let you know the outcome!
  • slc123
    So, they fixed it and delivered back to me in a week. Even though I wasn't the original purchaser they fixed it under warranty. Big thumbs up for Jungle products staff and service!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Yes, thats super service by jungle, they were under no obligation to fix it as you were not the original purchaser.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    02GF74 wrote:
    Yes, thats super service by jungle, they were under no obligation to fix it as you were not the original purchaser.

Jungle are pretty good on going out of there way,I bought a used Santa Cruz Nickel and bent the swing arm on it,I contacted them about buying a new swing arm and they were not able to supply me one,but after a few emails they supplied me a Blur TR frame at cost,so a big thumbs up for them