Wilier GTR v Dr Rosa Vega

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Just a club rider, no need for super duper £k's worth of bike, simple choice, the wilier gtr v de rosa vega (I'm Italian and like Italian bike :P _ )

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wilier-gtr-sl-e ... road-bike/

or

https://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/road ... -bike-2017

Comments

• Surely you'd want Campagnolo on your bike, not shimano if you are Italian?
    At least they are still made in Europe (Romania & Italy) , unlike the frames.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    De Rosa with green trim for me on no other basis than I like the look of it
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have had a Wilier for several months and in the sales I think it was a great bike for the money. I certainly like it.If you are buying one keep an eye on the spec.In your link the spec. says 105 chainset but the bike pictured does not show that chainset and I think your bike will come as photo.
    However Southdownswolf has got me thinking. I know my bike is an Italian brand but has my Wilier ever been anywhere near Italy? The saddle ( Selle Italia) may have but I think that is the only bit.Are the bikes assembled in Italy or are the saddles shipped to the far east where the bikes are assembled? If they are assembled in the far east was my bike shipped direct to the UK or did the box go via Italy? Does anyone know?
  • lesfirth wrote:
    I have had a Wilier for several months and in the sales I think it was a great bike for the money. I certainly like it.If you are buying one keep an eye on the spec.In your link the spec. says 105 chainset but the bike pictured does not show that chainset and I think your bike will come as photo.
    However Southdownswolf has got me thinking. I know my bike is an Italian brand but has my Wilier ever been anywhere near Italy? The saddle ( Selle Italia) may have but I think that is the only bit.Are the bikes assembled in Italy or are the saddles shipped to the far east where the bikes are assembled? If they are assembled in the far east was my bike shipped direct to the UK or did the box go via Italy? Does anyone know?

Yes chainset and brakes are shimano non grouped versions.

Is it the GTR you have? How do you find it? Some folk say it is more race geometry than endurance/sportif
  • Wilier are designed and assembled in Italy, but frames are manufactured in the Far East. Their factory is about 30km away from Campagnolo's.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Why not a Bianchi? :) just from the looks derosa looks more exotic but ive never meet one. Some friends they ride GTR and they are happy. The green is great looking bike too for my taste.
  • lesfirth
    shiznit76 wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Yes chainset and brakes are shimano non grouped versions.

Is it the GTR you have? How do you find it? Some folk say it is more race geometry than endurance/sportif

The Wilier I have is a GTR Team Endurance Disc 2016. At just over £1K I thought it was a bargain.It looks exactly the same as the 2017 model. This was a N+1 bike and I wanted to try a bike with hydraulic discs.This was the first new complete bike I have ever bought but even with E bay bits I could not build one for anything like that.There were a couple of snags with the spec. and the bike delivered but Chain reaction quickly sort that out. Merlin were selling 105 chainsets very cheap so I fitted one of them . The bare bike,no pedals, weighed in at 8.6 Kg .I was between small and medium and I went for the small. With a shorter stem and 25mm spacers I have a position that suits me. I am a really old git but my rides in winter are less than 3 hours. With raceblade guards on it is now my wet weather bike. The ride with 28mm tyres is as comfortable as my Domane 5.2 with 25mm tyres. The only thing I don't like are the bits of lettering on the frame!
  • lesfirth
    Correction .Just found my notes. Bike weighed 8.4 kg.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Don't what size you are but there are a couple of de rosa vega (new) by demon tweeks on ebay at a staggering £988

Here is a link to the meduim

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-Rosa-Vega ... SwHwZaCnRd

Tempted myself at that price.
  • Gone for the GTR, 1080 after 10% Chain Reaction discount thanks to BC, actually forgot had that!