Squeaky rear wheel

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited February 2018 in Workshop
In the past few weeks I've started to notice a squeak coming from the rear wheel when wheeling my bike about. Noise completely disappears when I start riding.

It doesn't squeak the full revolution of a spin, just for 1/4 of it.

First thought was bearings, but the wheels have covered just over 2k miles and this is their first winter. Having said that, in my years of cycling I've never had to re-grease or replace wheel bearings so not really sure what the signs are?!

Other possibilities that come to mind are squeaking in the drop out or squeaky spoke? What is the best way to fix these problems before I tackle the bearings?

Any other ideas welcome cheers.

Comments

• I once had a problem with the rubber boot on the non-drive side squeaking against the hub. A dab of grease on the boot seal/lip cured it.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Can be spokes where they cross over, but that is more usual when you pedal and put power through the wheel...

PP
  • jockey wheels or quick release would be my guess
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    if the chain has a removable link, take the chain off and see if that helps narrow it down

what hub/wheels?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    These are the wheels in question - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... -wheelset/ - not sure what hubs they are.

Got a few different noises coming from a few different places, so need to set aside some time to give the bike a full service. Hopefully can conquer this squeak before then though.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Try a dab of oil between the spokes where they cross over. I had this issue with some carbon tubs and the drop of oil stopped it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.