Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited October 2019 in Your road bikes
So I've had my Tarmac for a year now so thought I'd do a quick thread about it.

Bought from Hargroves Cycles, along with bottle cages and Mavic Kysrium Elites with S-works Turbo tyres (26c).
It came with 105 5800, Praxis Alba crankset and Tiagra 4700 brakes.

Whilst they were doing the build/PDI I got them to change the brakes for 105 5800 ones and fit 105 SPD SL pedals.

The first photo I've got of it. Taken the day I picked it up (My 27th Birthday)

dD1Q158l.jpg

After a couple of rides, I decided the saddle wasn't for me so tried a Fi'zi:k Arione and Antares.
Of these I chose the Antares and saved 150g in the process.

Spent all spring and summer riding around Hampshire on it, it a fair bit of comfort and was very happy.
MRj4S3Ql.jpg

6 months later and I managed to get hold of a full Ultegra 6800 groupset quite cheap. So set about fitting that along with a KMC x11SL chain and new bar tape. I had never been a fan of the way the Praxis rings shifted from small to large either.

vatlQt0l.jpg

yl2WGZwl.jpg

haxPdyCl.jpg

2ldjFp3l.jpg

Comments

• dannbodge
    Following that I was having some issues with my knee (overtraining after a month off for wedding/honeymoon) so decided I'd get a bike fit (just to eliminate bike position from the equation).

Ended up moving my cleats around, saddle up and backwards and dropping the bars by 15mm.
    Also changed the saddle from a 143mm Wide Fi'zi:k to a Specialized Power saddle at 155mm width.

cDZ6lQCl.jpg

Following this, I just took it easy and have been slowly getting better.
    Then came September and Revolve 24.

Ended up taking over 90 seconds off my previous years fastest lap time. This was down to the bike but also a lot more training and hill climbing over the year. So I fitted a new stem cap as a reminder.

hXc9EKjl.jpg

I then took a month off to allow my knee to recover and cut my rides down from 4 a week at 40mi each to one a week at 20mi (flat). Whilst I was off the bike, I bought and built up a second hand Allez to use over winter.

Over winter the Tarmac stayed on my turbo trainer.

As it was getting round towards my birthday, I decided to treat myself to a new set of wheels.
    I've always wanted deep section wheels so bought some 2nd hand Cosine 45mm full carbon clinchers off here.

Having covered over 2000 miles on the S-Works turbos, I decided another pair would be a safe bet. So fitted the Cosines with them along with Specialized Turbo inner tubes (lightweight Butyl)

RieEMxwl.jpg

FBavMVJl.jpg

So current spec:
    2017 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport
    6800 Ultegra, Compact crankset, SS Rear mech, 11-28 Cassette (also Ultegra)
    6800 Ultegra brakes w/ Cosine Carbon pads
    Deda Bar Tape
    Cosine 45mm full Carbon Clinchers w/ Specialized Turbo tubes and S-Works 26c Turbo Tyres
    Specialized Power Pro saddle
    Weight: 8.2kg

Next upgrade will be new seatpost, bars and get the steerer tube cut down (might tilt the bars down a bit and possibly drop another 5/10mm from them)
    Might also change the saddle to the S-works version if I can get one cheap enough.
  • Nice thread, good to see the evolution of your bike.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Very nice story

Orange is definitely the new black :)
  • Definitely marmite the colour, but glad you are enjoying it.
    Sack the bar tape wrapper
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dannbodge
    Definitely marmite the colour, but glad you are enjoying it.
    Sack the bar tape wrapper

Certainly is very marmite.
    I saw the bike in my LBS and knew straight away I had to have one.

Bar tape was done by me. First time I've ever done it.
    I thought it came out okay, but there was a reason I only used £4 tape :lol:
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    Bike (and tape) looks ace, nice work
  • tsaltzy10
    tsaltzy10 Posts: 1
    What bottom bracket did you use when replacing the praxis crank with the Ultegra one? Thanks!!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Great story and bike, enjoy in good health.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • fixerupper
    fixerupper Posts: 32
    Yes , I like it ....
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    tsaltzy10 wrote:
    What bottom bracket did you use when replacing the praxis crank with the Ultegra one? Thanks!!
    I have this question too.....
  • dannbodge
    tsaltzy10 wrote:

A normal Shimano Ultegra hollowtech 2 threaded one.
    The lower end Tarmac frames have a normal threaded BB.

I should really update this thread too. I've changed some more bits recently
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Dannbodge wrote:
    tsaltzy10 wrote:

Really? I didn’t think so. I have the 2016 comp and have the Praxis M30 crank/B.B.

I assumed I would need the Praxis converter to go from the M30 to the new Ultegra? I am planning to fit Di2 next month.
  • dannbodge
    solboy10 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    tsaltzy10 wrote:

Really? I didn’t think so. I have the 2016 comp and have the Praxis M30 crank/B.B.

I assumed I would need the Praxis converter to go from the M30 to the new Ultegra? I am planning to fit Di2 next month.

Yeah on this SL4 sport it has a standard threaded BB, whether or not it's the same for a 2016 comp I don't know (the Specialized website should tell you though - a quick look says that the comp is OSBB)
  • dannbodge
    Update time:

When I was out a few weeks back (in the rain) I had a bit of an accident and managed to drop the bike (non drive side) whilst crossing a ford, which scuffed a shifter, the bar tape and broke a bottle cage.

It made me feel bad, so I treated it to some new bar tape and replaced the cage.

The bar tape was changed to Supacaz Galaxy (Neon orange), I had the steerer cut down and a new S-works stem fitted (30g weight saved)

RHSfWHyl.jpg

imUnoTgl.jpg

Now I've started to look towards saving some more weight to break into the 7kgs.

One of my big hates has been the cone spacer.
    So I bought a carbon one as used on the S-works Tarmac, along with a "superlight" 10mm spacer

vdektfgl.jpg

Also got a new seatpost (3T Stylus 25 LTD -50g) and another saddle (S-works Power -53g)

sij8cBgl.jpg

So now the spec sits like this:

Tamac SL4 Sport (54cm)
    3T Stylus 25 LTD seatpost - 213g
    S-works Power saddle 155mm - 160g
    S-works SL Stem 90mm - 108g
    Shallow drop 420mm Handlebars -
    K-edge out front mount + Custom Exposure Trace holder.
    Supacaz Galaxy Neon Orange Bar Tape
    2 x Specialized gloss black rib cage 2
    Ultegra 6800 Groupset (Front & SS Rear Mech and Brakes)
    Ultegra 6800 11-28 Cassette
    105 5800 Pedals
    Ultegra 6800 Crankset (172.5mm with 50/34 chainrings)
    Cosine 45mm Full Carbon Clinchers
    Specialized Turbo Inner tubes
    S-works Turbo 26c tyres

Final weight: 8.1kg (TBC)

Next up will be S-works Aerofly handlebars + new cables, some titanium bolts (bottle cages etc) & Ultegra pedals
  • bluedog99
    bluedog99 Posts: 183
    Thanks for the update, its cracking bike you have and good to see you are enjoying it.
    Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.
  • anjizkit
    anjizkit Posts: 1
    great post. i recently bought the same bike and love whta u have done to yours.
  • Mr Stamp
    Mr Stamp Posts: 58
    Beaut of a bike, can I ask where you brought the carbon headset spacer, the cone one is dog ugly.
  • dannbodge
    Mr Stamp wrote:
    Beaut of a bike, can I ask where you brought the carbon headset spacer, the cone one is dog ugly.

eBay.
    There is/was a guy selling headsets for S-works bikes, I messaged him and just asked for the top spacer.
    Cost me £10 for two.
  • Mr Stamp
    Mr Stamp Posts: 58
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Mr Stamp wrote:

eBay.
    There is/was a guy selling headsets for S-works bikes, I messaged him and just asked for the top spacer.
    Cost me £10 for two.

Does this mean you have a spare or did you buy the top part of the headset and spacer? Sorry to fire another question off.
  • dannbodge
    Mr Stamp wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Mr Stamp wrote:

eBay.
    Cost me £10 for two.

Does this mean you have a spare or did you buy the top part of the headset and spacer? Sorry to fire another question off.

I do but it wasn't the right size (I think it left a gap underneath)
    I just bought the first spacer and that's it (the rounded one)
  • dannbodge
    So I was out and about yesterday and went over a crack in the road.
    The bike made a really loud "crack" sound (it's not the first time it's done it either).

Upon inspection of the front fork, I've found this:

KbTZNAfl.jpg

There is a chip in the paint, but it looks like there is a crack in the white behind the chip and also running along the LHS of the chip.

Looks like it's going back to my LBS for inspection.
  • oh dear.....that looks terminal to me. Pity....but hopefully a new fork asap?.....
  • dannbodge
    Got the bike back from my LBS.
    They checked with specialized and confirmed it's just a chip.

The mechanic did point out that my headset is slightly loose (steerer was cut slightly too long by about 1mm) so that was the cause of the noises, so put a 10mm on the top of the stack rather than the 5mm I currently have.

On another note, I got my Aerofly bars last week and new cables come this week. So they should be on by the end of the month.
  • dannbodge
    This will be pretty much my final update (bar new wheels at some point)
    Got my Aerofly bars fitted last weekend and now I've got nothing left to change :lol:

Gave it a good clean as it was filthy from riding on the damp country lanes and got snap happy with my DSLR. I'll get a display stand and go somewhere nicer later this year.

Bit annoyed at the final weight, but I'll change the pedals to Ultegra at some point, plus some Ti bolts and that should see me in at sub 8Kg.

Final spec is now:

2017 Tamac SL4 Sport
    3T Stylus 25 LTD seatpost
    S-works Turbo saddle 155mm
    S-works SL Stem 90mm
    S-works Aerofly 420mm Handlebars
    Custom Revolve 24 2017 Timings Stem Cap
    K-edge out front mount + Custom Exposure Trace holder.
    105 5800 Pedals
    Cosine 54mm Full Carbon Clinchers
    S-works Turbo 26c tyres

Final weight: 8.05kg

4Q68Xdsl.jpg

ihrkq3el.jpg

0yqwR4al.jpg

v5MJHNyl.jpg

PfgnC0rl.jpg

ZbGUYl4l.jpg

pC8Qr3Il.jpg

j335mJXl.jpg

yATYGgol.jpg

JLd7nUll.jpg

M59m55Ql.jpg

n8KPZril.jpg

q0Aa5ECl.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'm a huge fan of the big S and this is just lush mate! Such a nice build!

As for a "display stand"... you can find them free all over the place ;)

throwing2bstick.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ww88
    ww88 Posts: 18
    Looks seriously good with the carbon wheels!
  • dannbodge
    Been a while but here's some updates!

Did a few miles over the winter on it and decided in April that I'd bite the bullet and get a power meter so I could train on my commute. Decided on the Favero Assioma Duo pedals and got them fitted. At the same time I also picked up a pair of Fizik R1 infinito shoes.

jhU0fQal.jpg

bncCtvpl.jpg

Then my Garmin 520 was playing up and only lasting a few hours even after being fully charged, so I pivoted to a Wahoo Bolt:

Suqo667l.jpg

I then started riding it 4 days a week to work and back, clocking up a load of miles and enjoying 99% of it by which time it was then July, so took part in the BHF ride at Goodwood Circuit:

TOs1QF4l.jpg

After that I finally got my payments from work for having two patents granted, so treated myself to the wheels I've always wanted for this bike....Some Roval CL50s. I paired them with S-works Turbo tyres in 26mm again as I've enjoyed using them over the last 2 years.

iqPcHM7l.jpg

rEtU9gQl.jpg

h39H6IWl.jpg

Also finally managed to get the steerer cut down so it's only got a 5mm spacer on it:

m083Hn3l.jpg

A week later I took part in Revolve 24 again. Once again the bike was faultless and ate up the 192 miles that I clocked up in my 10 hours riding. No aches, pains or discomfort of any sort.

alKnGgsl.jpg

z5FUNZql.jpg

son9v1Ql.jpg

This bike just does everything I ask of it. It's comfortable, fast enough and I honestly just love it.

The only thing I'd change it for is a higher spec SL4 frame as it's a bit on the heavy side (7.8kg as shown above).
  • dannbodge
    So final spec is now:

2017 Tamac SL4 Sport
    3T Stylus 25 LTD seatpost
    S-works Turbo saddle 155mm
    S-works SL Stem 90mm
    S-works Aerofly 420mm Handlebars
    Custom Revolve 24 2019 Timings Stem Cap
    K-edge out front mount + Custom Exposure Trace/Lifeline 600 holder.
    Favero Assioma Duo Pedals
    Roval CL50 Full Carbon Clinchers w/ Mavic Titanium Skewers
    S-works Turbo 26c tyres

Final weight: 7.8kg