Di2 9150 not responding after software update - FIXED !!!

aleksandr
aleksandr Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Good Day Guys.
Need advice regarding my new Shimano Di2 9150 group set.
Yesterday receive Shimano Di2 Wireless Unit EW-WU111 D-Fly and install it on my new Canyon Aeroad CF SLX. On my iPad open E-tube Project and try to update the software as per Shimano recommendation. My new installed Wireless Unit EW-WU111 was detected and after that I was asking to update the software and I confirm it. When update came to 11% the E-tube stops and say it was not successful. I try to “forget the Bluetooth device” and start update again but noticed on my SM-EW90 3-port junction A installed under my handlebar NO any lights when you press the button on it. When I checked all the cables connections from the battery to the SM-EW90 3-port junction A – all ok. When I measured the BT-DN110 battery voltage and reading was 7,82 Volts and this voltage is correct. It is fully charged. I have checked my BB junction box as well. I can read 7,82 Volts on all in/out connection points on my both junction boxes and the same voltage on my rear and fwd derailleurs. I think this case is not battery or bad connection issue. Correct voltage present on all points.But as I mentioned before I have NO any lights on SM-EW90 3-port junction A. SM-EW90 3-port junction A is interface between all the components and It looks like not responding/died. So, on this stage I stuck and asking some advice. Maybe someone had the same or similar problem.
Additional I disconnect my battery for few minutes to RESET the system but still the same - Di2 not responding at all...
Probably next step is to connect my Di2 to PC and run diagnostic. In that case can I detect any problems? I cannot do this now as I have Mac and will do it with PC aon Monday.
Or maybe my SM-EW90 3-port junction A is died? How can I check this?
The place when I live we have NO any SHIMANO centers and technicians in the bicycle shops not familiar yet with Di2.

Thanks in advance.
Current Rides:

2018 CANYON Aeroad CF SLX DI2 9150

Comments

• Sorted!

All steps:
    1. Downloaded E-TUBE to PC
    2. Connected Di2 on SM-EW90 with SM-BCR-2
    3. Open E-tube and got both flushing light on SM-EW90
    4. Updated the software-just follow the steps.
    5. Open E-TUBE on iPAD and connected with Di2 Wireless Unit EW-WU111 D-Fly ( installed on bike)
    6. Updated all Di2 components.
    7. All done !

Di2 9150 system working perfectly !
    Current Rides:

2018 CANYON Aeroad CF SLX DI2 9150
  • I had the same EXACT problem Friday when adding the EW-WU111 to my Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0. Booted up the E-Tube app on my iPhone and it automatically started the firmware update for the EW-WU111. Failed at 10%. Di2 system went dark..DARK..no lights, nothing. Unnerving on a brand new bike to say the least.

After reading through forms and other postings, disconnecting and reconnecting everything, I figured the only way to reset the system was to use the E-Tube software on a PC connected via the SM-BCR-2. Well, unfortunately the only PC we have left in our house (as we've migrated to Mac) is an OLD one running Windows XP or maybe Vista. So I could only install the 2.2.3 version....which is useless for this problem. I ended up having to create a partition on the Mac using Boot Camp and loaded Windows 10. I then downloaded the 3.3.2 version of E-Tube, plugged in the SM-BCR-2 to the Mac on Windows and VOILA everything was back to normal.

Why oh why Shimano have you not fixed this bug? Hours wasted....frustrating. I love the Di2...when working, but this whole troubleshooting process was a complete waste of my time and should have never happened.

Bottom line...disconnecting the battery / components will not solve this issue. You need to follow Aleksandr's instructions above and all should be good. Hope this helps someone else.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Similar with R8050. Start the eTube app on phone, update commences and shuts down with partial download. No connection on phone despite several attempts to forget and reconnect with the D-Fly. Connect to the PC via cable and run eTube. Change passcode on system and run update. Disconnect and instant connection with app on phone.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Waiting an a Canyon Ultimate coming tomorrow with Di2. Got my WU111 sitting ready to go in but only have Apple devices, no PC. Would I be better just taking it to a local shop with Di2 knowledge and get them to update the firmware and fit the WU111 rather than using the E-Tube app on my iPhone?
    What is the SM-BCR-2? Is this for connecting to a PC or just the battery charger?
    Where did you fit the WU111 on the Endurace?
  • First the easy question...where to put the WU111. I placed mine in the downtube. There is a small plastic access panel under the bottom bracket. You'll have to fish the SM-EW90-B (internal junction box) out by gently pulling on the exposed wires. I found this video of a guy doing it on his Canyon Aeroad 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfkNz--t1U&t=61s

Shimano's recommendation is to put it in line under the handle bars near the SM-EW-90-A (external junction box), but I thought tucking it away internally made more sense and the Bluetooth signal works just fine.

The SM-BCR-2 is the USB PC / Battery Charger. It will come with your bike, so no need to go out and buy one.

As far as not having a PC, do you have a friend or family member close by that could help you? Your LBS might shy away from dealing with Di2 issues, it really depends on their knowledge. Then of course there is the question of how much they'll charge if they are comfortable dealing with it. Going to a friend or family members house and using their PC wasn't an option for me because I was freaking out and it was 1am in the morning :o
  • Thanks. I had originally wanted to put the WU111 at the bottom bracket but couldn’t get the junction B out the access panel so I ended up with it fitted externally at the A junction. After reading your post and watching the video, which I’d already seen, I tried again and managed to put the WU111 at the bottom bracket. Far tidier looking.
    Managed to get the WU111 to talk to my iPhone but as expected it crashed when updating the firmware and I ended up with no lights on my A junction at all. Connected to a PC and tried to use the E-tube programme to correct this. For over an hour nothing was happening, then for no reason at all it connected and all the units were seen except my front derailleu. A quick disconnect/reconnect of the di2 cable at the front derailleur soon sorted this. All working fine again but for some reason it won’t connect to either the E-tube programme on the PC or the app on my phone. It is however connecting to my Garmin which was what I wanted it for to display battery life and gear ratios.
    Thanks for your help
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    aweiler wrote:
    I had the same EXACT problem Friday when adding the EW-WU111 to my Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0. Booted up the E-Tube app on my iPhone and it automatically started the firmware update for the EW-WU111. Failed at 10%. Di2 system went dark..DARK..no lights, nothing. Unnerving on a brand new bike to say the least.

Yes that's a quote from aweiler but I could have typed the same exact thing word for word to describe my recent ordeal! (Except mine would have had the letter "X" after "CF SL" 8)

But seriously, I'm at my wits end trying to get some sort of windows machine running. I've used VMWARE and VirtualBox but neither will recognise when the USB cable is connected. I suppose I could try and figure out how to be Bootcamp working but I think I need a legit Windows CD for that? Is that right aweiler?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    jspash wrote:
    aweiler wrote:
    I had the same EXACT problem Friday when adding the EW-WU111 to my Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0. Booted up the E-Tube app on my iPhone and it automatically started the firmware update for the EW-WU111. Failed at 10%. Di2 system went dark..DARK..no lights, nothing. Unnerving on a brand new bike to say the least.

Yes that's a quote from aweiler but I could have typed the same exact thing word for word to describe my recent ordeal! (Except mine would have had the letter "X" after "CF SL" 8)

But seriously, I'm at my wits end trying to get some sort of windows machine running. I've used VMWARE and VirtualBox but neither will recognise when the USB cable is connected. I suppose I could try and figure out how to be Bootcamp working but I think I need a legit Windows CD for that? Is that right aweiler?

If you download the e-tube app to your PC, it should recognise the Di2 cable when plugged in? All I did was search for e-Tube in google and downloaded it from here;

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/application/?lang=en

Once the Di2 lead was connected to the bike and PC, everything was fine. Reset the password on e-tube on the PC, forget device in the phone/tablet settings and reconnect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • frzmln
    frzmln Posts: 3
    I got stuck in this situation and thanks to this thread i was able to solve my issue.

Very disappointing from Shimano to have not provided a better solution to this problem.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    You could have saved yourself a lot of bother by buying Campagnolo EPS. :D