Shimano To Sram Cassette?

Mostyn
Mostyn Posts: 30
edited February 2018 in Workshop
OK, this may seem strange; But here's the story. My friend wanted a larger cog on his cassette; asked my advice; so told him to get a Shimano 11/32; said I'll change it over for you! Anyhow; contacted me saying he'd bought a cassette; so took his Shimano cassette off; then realised he'd bought a Sram 11/32 cassette off eBay; no problem I thought they're compatible? But when fitting it, the lock ring wouldn't tighten properly, so after removing and replacing the cassette several times; without any success tightening the cassette lock ring; I replaced his old cassette (NO Problem) Well, my friend then took it to a local bike Mechanic? who fitted the sram cassette and managed to tighten the lock ring , (Hmm) I don't know how? I don't force anything on a bike; and I've been doing my own maintenance for over 50, years.
Any how, my fried bought new wheels, (Light weights) came over to mine to have his Sram cassette removed; which I did; but noticed while removing it; some of the threads on the lock ring were shiny (stripped) and it made a rasping sound when removing it. I told my friend that I wouldn't use the Sram Cassette as it really doesn't fit.
I sometimes wonder if it was/is a Chinese copy? eBay bought.
Anyone else experienced this with Shimano to Sram Cassette on a Shimano Hub-body?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no - always fitted fine.

why did he buy it off ebay?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Mostyn
    no - always fitted fine.

why did he buy it off ebay?

He always buy's from eBay! This Sram Cassette fitted the Shimano hub OK but the lock ring wouldn't thread properly; due to lack of room; you could squeeze it on but felt as though it was cross threading; just would-not thread up easily.
    I'm a believer that if it don't go easily ? then don't force it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Have you tried it with the original lockring that you know works fine? If the cassette has slid on fine then it could just be a dodgy lockring thread.

Lots of copperslip then if all ok then with the cassette.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Mostyn
    Have you tried it with the original lockring that you know works fine? If the cassette has slid on fine then it could just be a dodgy lockring thread.

Lots of copperslip then if all ok then with the cassette.

Yep tried the lock-ring of the Cassette that came off; but no, it's the cassette coming out too far to allow threading the lock ring.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Is this 10 speed? You know most Shimano 10 speed cassettes (not Tiagra) need a 1mm spacer which should be removed for SRAM or Tiagra 10 speed cassettes?