new guy GIANT and Litespeed w/Campy

Rule #5
Rule #5 Posts: 11
edited February 2018 in Your road bikes
Hi all - first post here. I'm a mostly road rider and tend toward being a weight weenie. Long time Campag fan and have two road bikes in rotation now. GIANT TCR advanced from 2011/12 with then-new Super Record. As you can see frame has integrated seat mast. Love the ride - very responsive yet damped and weight is 15.2 lbs with pedals. Wheels are hyperons, the brake tracks of which have now become completely scalloped and I am retiring them. Rode them for around 7 years without a single problem. Taking this opportunity to try something different - going to put on Roval clx 32 rim brake wheels and switch to Dura Ace 9100 mech. Really out of curiosity - just want to see what I've been missing. Here's a pic of the giant before it gets new groupset and wheels. Will also be interested to see what the weight is.

2l90eic.jpg

Second bike is 12 year old Litespeed Vortex. Campag chorus of recent vintage. Mike Garcia wheels - mostly DT swiss alloy. Bike weighs 16.5 lbs. Rides like a surgical instrument. Extremely precise and alive - a bit harsh compared with the Giant. Not changing anything on this bike. Anyway - note about saddle position - I like the nose down - easier on my middle aged prostate! Sorry if thats tmi!

241jfp4.jpg

Comments

• originally had shamal tubeless ready wheels on the litespeed - responsive as heck and without a hint of flex. But changing flats was so difficult with that tubeless-ready lip that I dont use them anymore. Nice looking wheels tho

1499fva.jpg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ....and cue the ribbing.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Saddle position looks perfect
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pnev wrote:
    Saddle position looks perfect

Yep - spot on.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Very very sweet set up on both bikes - hat.

Maybe rotate the Lightspeed's bar a tiny tiny tad but apart from that, all cool.

Top work that man.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks guys. I know the saddle is funky - but it works for me and allows me to keep riding. Pretty much all that matters.
  • Does the litespeed take fenders?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I think litespeed did make some frames that have fender attachments. Mine does not. The Vortex was it's racing frame and did not come fender ready. A little history of the frame below.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/comme ... tex-311140
  • No offence but curious as to how that saddle 'works' for you?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Unloads anterior perineum. Had recurrent prostatitis and found that by moving nose of saddle down, it took the pressure off the the area that was becoming irritated. Forces me to sit on my sit bones not the soft tissues.
  • imposter2.0
    Rule #5 wrote:
    Unloads anterior perineum. Had recurrent prostatitis and found that by moving nose of saddle down, it took the pressure off the the area that was becoming irritated. Forces me to sit on my sit bones not the soft tissues.

Your knees must be screaming..
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Absolutely hate, hate, hate that Giant. Sorry but it's just horrid. The Litespeed however is rather nice (apart from the saddle obvs).
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Shortfall wrote:
    Absolutely hate, hate, hate that Giant. Sorry but it's just horrid. The Litespeed however is rather nice (apart from the saddle obvs).
    That's a very strong reaction lol
  • Matthewfalle
    That Litespeed with 60s. ......... yum.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shortfall
    Tashman wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Come on. It's pig ugly and the worst thing is he's put the most beautiful groupset in the world on it. Talk about sacrilege!
  • Matthewfalle
    Shortfall wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Come on. It's pig ugly and the worst thing is he's put the most beautiful groupset in the world on it. Talk about sacrilege!

"Most beautiful groupset in the world."

Are you sure?

I remember some bloke on here arguing tooth and nail and getting all lairy insisting that Ultegra was.

I know where my side in this argument lies...........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tashman
    Other than the seat tube it just looks like a bike to me
  • imposter2.0
    Shouldn't we be focusing more on the saddle angle?
  • Imposter wrote:

Does look a tad extreme :shock:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Hey Tashman stop the hate! It is what it is: fast and comfortable. Re saddle position. Doesn't hurt knees at all - makes the upper arms and shoulders work a bit more. Which is ok with me. Found an interesting discussion about this from a forum you guys may have heard of.
    viewtopic.php?t=12693342
  • There must be saddles that are available that don't pressure the same and would therefore work flat!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Tashman
    Rule #5 wrote:
    Hey Tashman stop the hate! It is what it is: fast and comfortable. Re saddle position. Doesn't hurt knees at all - makes the upper arms and shoulders work a bit more. Which is ok with me. Found an interesting discussion about this from a forum you guys may have heard of.
    viewtopic.php?t=12693342
    No hate from me fella
  • O my - I am sorry Tashman, it was "shortfall". Apologies.
  • shortfall
    Rule #5 wrote:
    O my - I am sorry Tashman, it was "shortfall". Apologies.

Sorry. I just don't like the ultra compact frame, the massive amount of seatpost, the extreme seat angle, the meh colourscheme. I also don't like Giant as a brand. I just think they're bikes are pretty bland and corporate. I do love the SR gruppo though which is the antithesis of everything I just said about Giant and I really like your Litespeed.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    Rule #5 wrote:
    O my - I am sorry Tashman, it was "shortfall". Apologies.

Sorry. I just don't like the ultra compact frame, the massive amount of seatpost, the extreme seat angle, the meh colourscheme. I also don't like Giant as a brand. I just think they're bikes are pretty bland and corporate. I do love the SR gruppo though which is the antithesis of everything I just said about Giant and I really like your Litespeed.

Tis ok. We all have our preferences. Thale aesthetics of how a bike looks has never really entered into my decision making process. Giant is in fact a giant company. One thing I like is they make everything in house and really have the most experience with carbon. Fwiw that giant frame is my second one. The company replaced my first when I noticed a crack in the seatpost. No questions asked. Free of charge.
  • Rule #5 wrote:
    Hey Tashman stop the hate! It is what it is: fast and comfortable. Re saddle position. Doesn't hurt knees at all - makes the upper arms and shoulders work a bit more. Which is ok with me. Found an interesting discussion about this from a forum you guys may have heard of.
    viewtopic.php?t=12693342

And that says the same - if you're having to do that then it's the wrong saddle. You need to work with a bike shop and trial a few. It'll transform your cycling.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Rule #5 wrote:
    viewtopic.php?t=12693342

And that says the same - if you're having to do that then it's the wrong saddle. You need to work with a bike shop and trial a few. It'll transform your cycling.

Done it over and over. Trialed dozens of saddles. Thanks. Best solution for me is what you see. Very happy doing what I do. Should have only posted pic of the bikes without the saddle - as I did in the second post of this thread. The saddle thing gets very old. As I said it works for me. My arms don't hurt, my knees don't hurt, my twig and berries work fine. I ride a lot and love it. Where exactly is the problem?
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

no because its his bike and he's happy with it and it works for him so its no one elses business.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Rule #5 wrote:
    Rule #5 wrote:
    viewtopic.php?t=12693342

Done it over and over. Trialed dozens of saddles. Thanks. Best solution for me is what you see. Very happy doing what I do. Should have only posted pic of the bikes without the saddle - as I did in the second post of this thread. The saddle thing gets very old. As I said it works for me. My arms don't hurt, my knees don't hurt, my twig and berries work fine. I ride a lot and love it. Where exactly is the problem?

as 5 said - his bike, the saddle works fine for him.

horses/courses fellas.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thought I'd post a follow up = as I initially mentioned, I switched to Full Dura Ace mech groupset and Roval 32 wheels. The tires are specialized cotton 26mm clinchers (wanted to try them too - supposedly very compliant and the rims can be rigged for tubeless riding and low inflation pressures) . Biggest difference IS the wheels - the rovals replaced hyperons and the new ones feel far stiffer. Tires and wheels are much wider, as is all the rage. First few rides they do feel fast, tho its weird to look down and see the tires so wide. Dura Ace brakes also with the improved brake track on the new rims are a definite improvement over the Campy brakes and rimes. Bike weight is exactly the same. Anyway since frame is the same, the bike feels dialed in and I'm ready for some serious miles - if only the weather would cooperate. C'mon Spring!

2z4zlmw.jpg