sunday the quantum fields are restless, there is a non-zero probability of everything

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited February 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

another careful knee-nursing ride

let this be a lesson to you all, skimping on gym is asking for trouble

later i shall try to corner the remaining epoisses before it escapes and wreaks havoc, until then no one is safe, all belgravia is in a hubbub, the streets are deserted, many have sought shelter and a fry up in the pont street cabbies' cafe
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, no frost this morning fine rain at the moment, will be walking Tigger soon, breakfast, read of the newspaper then a bike ride, the Mrs will be back later after a weekend away, so I will be having a tidy up later
    Have a good day

SG, hope the knee does not slow you down to much
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Foggy, wet, raining. Ride cancelled. This is really rubbish now.

Weights sesh and/or turbo train, but tbh, turbo training 8n a garage doesn’t really get my blood flowing.

Am now so bored of this long drudging cold wet winter. Can’t remember many others like it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    local reliability ride - first long ride for a while. Tempted to use the masters, but feels damp out

Later is wood followed by the pub, though must collect the car from the next village at some point
  • Matthewfalle
    Reliability ride. :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    rubbish turbo training session

rubbish weights session

now sulking

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Sunday done, or almost. Took a mountain of cardboard boxes to the recycling yard this morning, pretty much all the packing material now gone.

Finished the bike fettling, now all 6 are assembled and ready to go. 8) Cleaned the shed a bit too - this will take a fair while to get all the way round as it's hyoooj.

Tomorrow will make tiny start on the garden clean up, and decide how best to fit out the workshop area. Kinda difficult when you have too *much* space...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    SG, hope the knee does not slow you down to much

Oh no, don't start sympathy at that level or people will start posting about life threatening incidents with paper clips :roll:

'epoisses'. Stumped me.

It's drizzly wet here. Going to bake some bread for lunch.

Coughing up green stuff by the bucket. Tomorrow trip to dentists in a far away land to get a free insultation regarding implants.

Did you get that x word sorted Hoppy? Cryptic or concise?

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Too much space, hmmm. That would be nice. My short single garage currently has a car, 5 or 6 bicycles, a motorbike (in bits), 2 large garden chairs, a workbench (covered in stuff), a tool chest on a roll cab and a partridge in a pear tree. I changed the saddle on a bike yesterday but had to do it outside the garage as there’s no bloody space. The joy of living in London.
    My lungs are still trying to invert themselves at every opportunity, I’ve really had enough of this now.
    EPO’s birthday tomorrow, thankfully I’ve got everything I need. Was supposed to go to my ‘rents for a bit of an early celebration but I can’t go near the old man as his immune system is shot. Another day of doing very little beckons.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Too much space, hmmm. That would be nice. My short single garage currently has a car, 5 or 6 bicycles, a motorbike (in bits), 2 large garden chairs, a workbench (covered in stuff), a tool chest on a roll cab and a partridge in a pear tree. I changed the saddle on a bike yesterday but had to do it outside the garage as there’s no bloody space. The joy of living in London.
    My lungs are still trying to invert themselves at every opportunity, I’ve really had enough of this now.
    EPO’s birthday tomorrow, thankfully I’ve got everything I need. Was supposed to go to my ‘rents for a bit of an early celebration but I can’t go near the old man as his immune system is shot. Another day of doing very little beckons.

House has a double garage attached up the back. The shed also has a double garage hanging off the back of it. Shed itself has a full size proper mechanic pit in the floor. There's room for about 6 cars in there I reckon all up, possibly 7. There's a separate huge long space I dunno what to do with at all yet, possibly wood storage for the fire.

It's actually going to cost a motza to get enough workbenches.. I'm going to have to re-learn how to weld properly to build them...
  • pinno
    It's actually going to cost a motza to get enough workbenches.. I'm going to have to re-learn how to weld properly to build them...

Make them out of wood and cover the surfaces you need with stainless steel sheets? Varnish the rest.

Wood is a lot more homely and do you want an F1 style workshop?
  • Pinno wrote:

Make them out of wood and cover the surfaces you need with stainless steel sheets? Varnish the rest.

The bench tops will be wood for sure, and it's definitely easier to work with, but steel will be stronger and cheaper. I can buy some used pallet racking beams pretty cheap which may be the quick solution anyway...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Pinno wrote:
    'epoisses'. Stumped me.
    Isn't that the fishy version of e-cigarettes?

Another TT session, again failing to hit 130 cadence when asked by the BC training programme I'm following. But I can cope with failure. Lot of experience.

C'mon springtime, where are ye?
  • pinno
    130 cadence, why?!

Cadel Evans won the tdf on stage 20 after a 42.5 km ITT over rolling terrain at an average 104 rpm.
  • sungod
    epoisses is a pungent squidgy cheese, from olivier's esteemed emporium... http://gaugryfromager.fr/wp-content/upl ... it-cru.pdf ...nom

over time it becomes ever more mobile, until suddenly, cheesocalypse

nippy start, almost balmy later, kept the cadence up, though not 130 (orraloon it takes time/practice to get it high, only time for me is sprinting or if trying to squeeze a bit more speed on a long descent just for the hell of it)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Why 130? Cos that's what the programme says to do, and gotta follow da Programme.

Nah, aired my thinking aloud earlier on the Training etc forum. Was intrigued by why I couldn't hold that cadence but quite happy to drop lower in recognition that it ain't me that stuff. Btw finding benefit in following a structured training regime on the TT as laid out on BC website, hope to see more than marginal gains when finally get the summer bike outside / when this poxy winter weather does one.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    First ride for ages, seriously unfit and fat.

Steak tea though but gotta tighten the nut on the fitness and food.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pinno wrote:

Aye, I finished it off this morning. There was a 12 letter clue at 1 across, which I cracked, and everything else followed swiftly. Cryptic rather than concise.

Check activity of poet, not having succeeded. (12)

I had just 1 crossing letter.

??????C?????.

Otherwise, back to London now. Doing washing ready for the week.
  • sungod
    ooo... http://www.canecreek.com/product/el-diablo/

only got the black ones last year, but now i want these, shiny, red, mmm, i'm so easily tempted
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Back from my Northern excusion having achieved my tactical objectives, which was mainly sorting and chucking related. And got a free bacon butty at the care home this morning to set me up for the long drive.

Day off tomorrow, wahey.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    orraloon wrote:
    Why 130? Cos that's what the programme says to do, and gotta follow da Programme.

Nah, aired my thinking aloud earlier on the Training etc forum. Was intrigued by why I couldn't hold that cadence but quite happy to drop lower in recognition that it ain't me that stuff. Btw finding benefit in following a structured training regime on the TT as laid out on BC website, hope to see more than marginal gains when finally get the summer bike outside / when this poxy winter weather does one.

Set yourself a do-able target of x cadence over y distance (regardless of any comparisons other than yourself).

Adjust accordingly. Once achieved, slowly raise the bar.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

The bench tops will be wood for sure, and it's definitely easier to work with, but steel will be stronger and cheaper. I can buy some used pallet racking beams pretty cheap which may be the quick solution anyway...

6" x 2" CLS for the legs, construct a frame with 3 x 2" CLS. Go and buy a few pine wardrobes with a good finish from the local furniture project/local ads, take them apart and use them as the worktops.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Aye, I finished it off this morning. There was a 12 letter clue at 1 across, which I cracked, and everything else followed swiftly. Cryptic rather than concise.

??????C?????.

I can't do cryptic :roll:
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

??????C?????.

Soz Pinno. I'm a cryptic fiend. Love them.

In case you care, the poet's activity is "versification". It does not have succeeded or "s". Leaving "verification", which equals "check".

I understand that coders are good at cryptics, as the clues are basically a set of instructions. I'm not a coder, and I'm distinctly mediocre at solving, though I do complete the Times puzzle most days, though where I aim for 30 to 45 minutes, the top guys are 5 to 7 mins.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

??????C?????.

In case you care, the poet's activity is "versification". It does not have succeeded or "s". Leaving "verification", which equals "check".

I understand that coders are good at cryptics, as the clues are basically a set of instructions. I'm not a coder, and I'm distinctly mediocre at solving, though I do complete the Times puzzle most days, though where I aim for 30 to 45 minutes, the top guys are 5 to 7 mins.

When I do my Pinno's Christmas quiz, the clues are all cryptic. My mother used to say that once she got into the head of the compiler, it was easier.
    I remember getting on the train to London from Orpington once (in the days of proper broadsheets) and there was a guy opposite just casually completing the cross word like it was a doddle. Anyway, he got off at Hayward's Heath or Clapham (can't remember precisely) and winked at me as he left the paper on the seat.
    I picked the paper up and the boxes were filled with any old words that fitted.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

??????C?????.

When I do my Pinno's Christmas quiz, the clues are all cryptic. My mother used to say that once she got into the head of the compiler, it was easier.
    I remember getting on the train to London from Orpington once (in the days of proper broadsheets) and there was a guy opposite just casually completing the cross word like it was a doddle. Anyway, he got off at Hayward's Heath or Clapham (can't remember precisely) and winked at me as he left the paper on the seat.
    I picked the paper up and the boxes were filled with any old words that fitted.

Now, Pinno's Christmas quiz just made my head hurt. It was about bikeists from the 50's.
  • pinno
    No, it spanned years from old to modern. You didn't try.
  • hopkinb
    I actually know the square root of fcuk all about bike racing. I watched the tdf when big mig won everything, then when Lance won everything, then when sky won everything.

I'm an interloper.

I loved riding my Dawes 5 speed, then Peugeot 10 speed from age 11 to 19. Then I restarted 5 years ago as I was so fat. If I was to do well in your quiz, I would have to cheat.
  • pinno
    Based on that ^, I could rig the next one for a small fee.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Reliability ride. :)
    Covers it, 22 mph for the first 40 miles
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    hopkinb wrote:
    I actually know the square root of fcuk all about bike racing. I watched the tdf when big mig won everything, then when Lance won everything, then when sky won everything.

I'm an interloper.

I loved riding my Dawes 5 speed, then Peugeot 10 speed from age 11 to 19. Then I restarted 5 years ago as I was so fat. If I was to do well in your quiz, I would have to cheat.

You've watched more bikists than me then. :oops: