Frame sizing confusion!

Boneidle24Seven
Boneidle24Seven Posts: 44
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've noticed that bike manufacturers like to confuse us with frame sizing. For example, if my usual frame size is a 56cm, Which is the measurement of the effective top tube length. When I'm looking at another make in a 56cm, it's stated that this is the measurement of the seat tube. So really I'd need to be looking at their 54 in order to get the right ETT length. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance! :?

Comments

• Stack and reach.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You are correct. Different manufacturers use different sizing conventions. So as well as differing geometry you have to be aware that a 51 in one bike can be similar to a 54 in another (I have both)

Simplest way is to try a few out, but if you don't have that opportunity, working out the stack and reach is a way of comparing dissimilar frames
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You need to look at the frame dimensions/geometry and compare that to your ideal size/fit. Ignore what size the manufacturer calls their frame.

My ideal fit is eTT of 545mm with 73.5 STA, and go from there.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks. My current bike ( Genesis Equilibrium) is a 56 ETT which to be honest, even with an 80mm stem still feels too long.
    I sat on a 54 Surly Straggler yesterday, which also felt too long. So now I'm looking at a 52 which has an ETT of 55 which should be ok, but the shop didn't have one in that size to try. But now the stack difference between a 52 Straggler and my Equilbrium is massive. Surly 534mm and Genesis 584mm. That's a lot of headset spacers!!!!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Thanks. My current bike ( Genesis Equilibrium) is a 56 ETT which to be honest, even with an 80mm stem still feels too long.
    I sat on a 54 Surly Straggler yesterday, which also felt too long. So now I'm looking at a 52 which has an ETT of 55 which should be ok, but the shop didn't have one in that size to try. But now the stack difference between a 52 Straggler and my Equilbrium is massive. Surly 534mm and Genesis 584mm. That's a lot of headset spacers!!!!

This is the comprise you'll be facing. To get a shorter eTT, you downsize on the frame, which means shorter head tube and hence greater drop between saddle and bars.

When looking at eTT, you also need to consider seat tube angle. I think (IIRC) 1 degree steeper on seat tube angle means 1cm off the eTT to give the same reach.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Remember you have to accept that there are loads of frames which will not really have a suitable size for you, then set about understanding why.
  • mfin wrote:
    Remember you have to accept that there are loads of frames which will not really have a suitable size for you, then set about understanding why.

I don't think there are many frames that fit me. Short legs, long torso (think Orangutan) Not to mention stiff back and increasing old age! :lol:
  • What is the reach of your current Genesis?
    What length stem and angle, + or - position?
    What reach are the bars?

Use these to judge what reach your new bike needs to be. I'm also more torso than leg for my 5'10" height, the 58cm Cube fits me pretty well with 388mm reach and 610mm stack.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo