British Cycling Criteriums

BenBilly348
BenBilly348 Posts: 9
edited February 2018 in Amateur race
Hello,

I plan to race this year but I have a general questions about kit rules. I'm a member of two different cycling clubs and I don't want to upset either by not representing them and thus I want to wear plain black kit. Will this be allowed or will I have to wear one of my clubs kit?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Your first and second claim clubs should appear on your licence. Technically, you should race in the colours of your first claim club. On race day itself, it's unlikely that anyone will care, but if you score ranking points these will appear under the name of your first claim club. 4th cat clothing rules used to be a lot more relaxed, allowing you to dress up like a FPKW if you wanted - not sure if that's still the case.

Anyway, I don't see why the clubs would be upset - it's not like being married to two wives or something...
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    4th cats can wear any kit though generally if you don't have club kit you should just wear plain colours.

From 3rd cat onwards, you need to wear the approved/official kit of your first claim club. These days, kit designs are uploaded digitally with club registration to BC, so if you search the BC club finder site for your club you should see which kit is the official racing one (some clubs have more than one kit design or colour, but only one will be approved for racing).
  • maryka wrote:
    4th cats can wear any kit though generally if you don't have club kit you should just wear plain colours.

From 3rd cat onwards, you need to wear the approved/official kit of your first claim club. These days, kit designs are uploaded digitally with club registration to BC, so if you search the BC club finder site for your club you should see which kit is the official racing one (some clubs have more than one kit design or colour, but only one will be approved for racing).

Is this in the regulations somewhere? I asked my club secretary about this recently and he said it is recommended but not enforced.
  • imposter2.0
    It is covered in the regs somewhere, but someone would have to find it. Having said that, you really don't want to line up for a 4th cat circuit race looking like a reject from Sky or BMC - not a good look.

There really should be no issue in wearing the colours of your first claim club - otherwise, what's the point of being a member.
  • maryka
    Yes, Section 8 of the regs:

8.1.2 When competing under these Regulations riders (other than as provided in T.R. 8.1.8 and 8.1.9) shall wear Club or region registered design and colours, as is appropriate

8.1.9 In Road and Track events, Youth, Fourth and Provisional category licence holders and BC non licence holders will be allowed to wear any suitable clothing whilst competing in events under the Technical Regulations of the Federation, including that bearing registered or unregistered advertising except in the case of National Championships when they must comply with T.R. 8.1.1 to 8.1.6

and

8.2.1 Affiliated Clubs, Trade Teams and Individual Members shall register the design and colour of their racing costume with Headquarters. Affiliated Clubs and Teams are permitted to register only one kit per calendar year for all forms of competition. Members of an affiliated Club or Team may not wear a kit registered during a previous year if that kit is different from the currently registered Club or Team kit.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/rules?c=EN

Whether or not it's enforced depends on the local commissaires.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I don't know what the situation is if you don't put a club when you join BC though, I mean whether you can be a member of a club (or two clubs) but race as a private member. I suppose the objection would be that you could be cooperating with team mates and other riders wouldn't know. Of course BC would have no way of finding out unless someone told them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    Being a private member means not being part of a club, so no..
  • maryka
    It's an interesting question but one that doesn't tend to be an issue as I think most racers are keen to join clubs/teams and have teammates in races. Private members are overwhelmingly 4th cat (new racers, not members of any club) or E/1/2 racers who have left their previous team/club and don't want a new one for whatever reason. I would guess that very few people join a club but don't list that club or any club on their racing license in order to somehow be teammates to people in different kit without anyone knowing.
    That said, unless a club manages its membership via the BC system, there's no onus on any BC-registered club to give its membership list to BC. So in theory, yes you could be a member of club(s) but be a Private Member for BC purposes and nobody would know any different.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Imposter wrote:

Well that's one interpretation, another would be someone who has chosen to join BC but not as a club member.

I had a quick scan of the road and track regs and I can't see anything that clarifies the question though that's not to say there isn't a ruling on it somewhere.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Well that's one interpretation, another would be someone who has chosen to join BC but not as a club member.

That's the same interpretation..
  • DeVlaeminck
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Are you being deliberately obtuse ? Just for you a member of an affiliated club who has chosen to join BC as a private member rather than a club member.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Are you being deliberately obtuse ? Just for you a member of an affiliated club who has chosen to join BC as a private member rather than a club member.

That's clearer now. I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it's another interpretation...
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    FWIW, I raced in non club kit for my first couple of criti races at the Cyclopark. And I have raced as a cat 3 in plain black kit too when I forgot to wash my club kit. Shouldn't be a problem.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    i haven't had any club kit for about ten years now and use a plain black or black/grey jersey. Ive also used akin suits of various colours but all of them are obviously not club jerseys.

Ive never felt out of place and I've never received a comment from the commisars (other than the occaisional wee we taking when i get dropped)