Isla bike 20 small frame

Emma101
Emma101 Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hello, I'm knew to the forum but am after some advise and a favour. Does anyone have the isla bike 20 small frame and are able to advise me.
My little boy currently has a specilized 16 inch wheel bike. The seat is just over 50cm from the top of the seat to floor. I tried him on his step sisters specilized 20 and although was a stretch leg wise he could manage, it was the reach to the handle bars that was too much although he did manage was no where near comfortable. I wondered if anyone could give me a few simple measurements if the had a isla bike 20 small frame.
Hight from lowest seat hight to floor and seat to pedal (at the bottom) distance from front of seat to middle of handle bar. And length of handle bar.
Sorry I really like the look of the bike and feel like it may mean that I can get my little boy onto a geared bike by the summer which will make riding easier and more comfortable for him. But it's a nightmare spending £300 on a bike that we can't see or try first!

Comments

• We've get the Beinn 20 large so can't help with the measurements, but the easiest way is to check the height chart on the web site. http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/p ... web-c2.pdf it's pretty spot on to tell you whether your child will fit the bike or not. it covers inside leg and full height so should cover the reach. I've seen a couple of children on the specialized 20" and it looks to have a longer wheelbase than the Beinn 20 large
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Hi. Assuming that the bike size page the previous poster shows you which bike is the most suitable, 20" large or 20" small, I can recommend them. We use them at our club and they withstand a fair bit of hard usage, including ramp, plank and seesaw riding, not to mention the odd bit of cyclo-cross and grass track.

There's also the resale price you can get on Ebay (Ebaygum in Yorkshire) and other sites. 80+% is not unkown after 12-18 months use, so the weekly cost is pretty low.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Hello, thanks for replies, were going to have a look at the frog bike 52 tomoro which from reading Should be simular to the large beiin 20, so will have a try and see, his inside leg measurement is only 47 (I'm not sure that's right tho as his bike seat measures 55 cm from the floor) so we'll have a try of the frog then weigh up, size, purchase price v's resale which will actually make the isla a cheaper bike, and think it will come down to weather I'm brave enough to buy without trying the isla even tho stats show it to be the more safe bet. Unless theirs a way to try the isla bikes semi locally, north east?
  • Hi Emma, my daughter has a Beinn 20 Small, here are the measurements from it that you were after -

Height from lowest seat height to floor - 530mm from the top of the seat to the floor if you take the reflector bracket off of the seat post

and seat to pedal (at the bottom) - 440mm from the top of the pedal at its lowest point to the top of the seat, if you take the reflector bracket off of the seat post

distance from front of seat to middle of handle bar. - 390mm from front of seat to front of handlebars

And length of handle bar. - 485mm

The Islabike size chart on their website suggests that you will be ok (use the link Paulintheforest provided). Don't hesitate to get an Islabike, they are astonishingly good. Believe whatever hype you can find on the web, its all true.

Hope these measurements help,

Matt
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    MattHam wrote:
    The Islabike size chart on their website suggests that you will be ok (use the link Paulintheforest provided). Don't hesitate to get an Islabike, they are astonishingly good. Believe whatever hype you can find on the web, its all true.
    Yep.

And if the size chart (very accurate IME) isn't enough then give them a ring - they know it's important that each child has the right size bike for them.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Thank you, comparing the measurements to his old bike he'd manage no problem, were going to try the frog and see what he thinks although his decider will probable be linked to colour! Thanks for measurements.
  • Here is a photo of my daughters Islabike Beinn 20 Small compared with her brothers Hotrock 16

DSC06801.jpg