1 x 9 options

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking to ditch the front mech as it's a mud trap.

Have 3 x 9 42/32/22 11-32 at the moment so to get a nearly same low gear, I can run only the middle ring and get a 11-40 9 speed cassette.

But are there narrow, wide 32 t chainrings that fit 3 chainring crank?

Rear mech is sram but is not clutch type, what are my options there?

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    I’m not an expert here but I did the same conversion , but 1x10 I had to check that my crank was what’s called 104bcd I think it’s the distance between 2 opposing bolts on crank (check YouTube out for this) then just bought a 104bcd narrow wide 32t chain ring and placed it where my middle ring used to be. I got a goat link to pull my rear mech back so it would engage onto my 42t rear ring. I also had to get some washers for my front chainring so the chain line was lined up with my middle cog at the back.
    YouTube was a big help in working out what I needed for the job.
    Hope this helps
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Will probably depend on your crank, but I fitted a NW 32T to the middle of a triple (mine was a 96BCD one) and I don't *think* I needed new bolts or spacers, and don't have a bashring installed. I don't have a record of buying any anyway. I used a WorksComponents one.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • 02gf74
    OK thanks. It is xt crank m760 104mm bcd.... Just as well as got a n/wide 32t chainring heading my way from Taiwan. Also heading is a 11-40 9 spd cassette, £17 so not a big outlay if it doesn't work out.

Only concern is rear mech, I may need a drop out spacer (got one somewhere) to move mech out to clear the 40t sprocket.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’m using a 9 speed mech on a 40t sprocket, the B screw would just about give clearance but it was very fussy on indexing, I then fitted a hanger extender (£3 from a UK supplier on eBay) and the shifting is much easier to set up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    I’m using a 9 speed mech on a 40t sprocket, the B screw would just about give clearance but it was very fussy on indexing, I then fitted a hanger extender (£3 from a UK supplier on eBay) and the shifting is much easier to set up.

I've just seen these on ebay as i'm building up a cheap commuter bike but will be using a spare 11-40t cassette with a long cage xt mech i have spare.

this will be 10 speed but the principal should be the same as were talking 9 speed here?

If i had known about these ages ago could have saved money on buying the radr cage for my other bike.
  • 02gf74
    I've a feeling the extender is a must. I tried using shimano xtr 10 speed, designed for 36t with 42t and although the b screw moved the mech so jockey wheels were clear, there was less chain overlap on the sprockets and that made me uncomfortable in case the chain is more likely to slip.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I’ve a radr cage on my xtr 10spd but I’d not seen these derailleur hanger extenders before and would save you money.

Radr cage was about 35 quid and these extenders are what 3 quid bargain.
  • 02gf74
    swod1 wrote:

Radr cage was about 35 quid and these extenders are what 3 quid bargain.

£1.89
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    this will be 10 speed but the principal should be the same as were talking 9 speed here?
    Yes indeedy.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.