Milestone Alert

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2018 in Commuting chat
Clocked up my 30'000th mile commuting to work by bike this morning. Not a lot compared to some but quite chuffed really. Might celebrate by cycling in tomorrow :D

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Does your workplace have a staff newsletter or sustainable transport policy where you can brag about it?
    You are ( possibly) single handedly improving their KPIs for being eco friendly.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's bloody good going - well worthy of mention I'd say.

Thats 1 and a 1/5 times round the equator - or about 1/7th of the way to the moon.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Clocked up my 30'000th mile commuting to work by bike this morning. Not a lot compared to some but quite chuffed really. Might celebrate by cycling in tomorrow :D

:shock:

giphy.gif
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Does your workplace have a staff newsletter or sustainable transport policy where you can brag about it?
    You are ( possibly) single handedly improving their KPIs for being eco friendly.

Could probably get in the staff magazine, but given the nature of the business I think they would prefer me to drive to work...in one of their brands.
  • Fenix wrote:
    That's bloody good going - well worthy of mention I'd say.

Thats 1 and a 1/5 times round the equator - or about 1/7th of the way to the moon.

Thanks. I worked out the equator one, forgot about the moon :D
  • Clocked up my 30'000th mile commuting to work by bike this morning. Not a lot compared to some but quite chuffed really. Might celebrate by cycling in tomorrow :D

:shock:

giphy.gif

Cheers! :lol:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah, great work. That is record-keeping par excellence!

I like to think I'm not too far off that myself but in reality don't know how I rank against that as I began riding to work pre-Garmin and/or easily accessible GPS (March 2005) and only started logging my mileage in October 2012 and would love to have had a record of everything I did in between.
    FCN = 4
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited February 2018
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    yeah, great work. That is record-keeping par excellence!

I like to think I'm not too far off that myself but in reality don't know how I rank against that as I began riding to work pre-Garmin and/or easily accessible GPS (March 2005) and only started logging my mileage in October 2012 and would love to have had a record of everything I did in between.

I love a spreadsheet! I've logged every mile on the bike (and which bike) and every mile run since 2005. I can even tell which shoe I wore running! Back in the earlier days I was running 70 miles per week, I used to keep a log so I knew when the shoes were on the way out.

Also log maintenance items so I know how long things last, handy for tyres/chains/cassettes etc.

Nobody is allowed to reply OCD. :lol:
  • Nobody is allowed to reply OCD. :lol:

rower63 :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Nobody is allowed to reply OCD. :lol:

rower63 :lol:
    That could be the dullest competition in the history of spreadsheets. :lol:

Well done EC that's really good going and slightly worrying levels of record keeping. Isn't another standard unit of measurement the Wales? How many times around Wales would that be? Or is that just for measuring area?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    You're not the only one who loves the spreadsheets, don't worry.
    I'm tracking components use vs mileage & days in an attempt to understand the "true cost" of cycling rather than driving to work, especially as time wise cycling is actually slower.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Oh, I clocked 30'000 at 5.50am. Just saying.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    desperately trying to resist taking the bait...

edit: you're in luck, I can't get it to format sufficiently :o
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I can guarantee that at least one of you three has this on his desk.

pop-826.jpg

PS, Shoutout to Dizzydane; I recall a 100 miler to Brighton and back with her a few years ago when she was explaining to one of the other riders how to set up his various spreadsheets to do whatever it was he was waffling on about at the time.

At least it spurred me on; trying to get away from listening to ramblings about excel.

you must all be Observers or 'blues' on the personality tests. 'Give me details!'

yours etc.

A sunshine yellow :evil: :lol:
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just looking at my mileage
    it's not pure commutes - but Strava has me on 20k miles ... not a lot since I started recording in 2012 ...
    I've done a few more miles than that in my lifetime though ... ;)