KMC Chains, difference in quality?

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,391
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Are different quality KMC chains more rust resistant than others?
I've run KMC chains for quite some time and am very happy with them on the whole, I started using Squirt chain lube a while ago which I'm also mostly happy with, it's clean and the chain is quiet. The combination of the two and winter weather means the side plates have been getting rusty though. The chain is quiet and the rollers in good condition so the lube is doing it's job, but it looks a bit grim. Are different quality chains more rust resistant? I think I've got an X93 on there at the moment, 10 speed although I doubt that makes a difference.
I suspect my choices are use a more traditional wet lube or put up with rusty side plates in winter.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You certainly pay more for better quality coatings or surface treatments, if that's what you mean...
  • The rust resistance is more down to whether the chain has been treated, to be rust resistant or not. Some are Nickel plated, you can get stainless steel chains. KMC have a treated chain they call an EPT or EcoProTeQ, which is supposed to be very rust resistant indeed.
  • veronese68
    Imposter wrote:
    You certainly pay more for better quality coatings or surface treatments, if that's what you mean...
    Yes, the EPT MM mentions might be just the job.
  • imposter2.0
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Yes, the EPT MM mentions might be just the job.

For £30 I'd want it to make the tea as well. I've never had any rust issues with basic X10/X11, tbh..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I tried Squirt one summer and was quite impressed by how clean it kept the chain by virtue of falling off taking the dirt with it. But the first wet ride saw the chain squealing like a piglet and rust appearing shortly afterwards.

So I'm now back to 3-in-1 oil year round. That seems to give enough of a film to deter rust, it's light enough to penetrate the links quickly and it doesn't attract much dirt if it's not over applied.

So cheap and cheerful chains and 3-in-1 oil for me!
  • imposter2.0
    As above - a clean chain does not necessarily imply it is well-lubed. Quite the opposite, most likely.
  • veronese68
    That's the thing, it's quiet and the lube seems to stay in the rollers. Admittedly it's not exactly a long way to get to work and I'm not doing long rides in the winter. I sometimes have to reapply midweek if the weather is bad but it still works. The problem with wet lubes is I often ride on hard packed dirt paths and the grit sticks to the lube and turns to grinding paste.
  • Squirt is good for summer dry weather conditions, not good in the winter though, it quickly washes away leaving your chain exposed to the elements.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • veronese68
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Squirt is good for summer dry weather conditions, not good in the winter though, it quickly washes away leaving your chain exposed to the elements.
    I think you're right, which is pretty much the conclusion I'd come to. I can reapply often and put up with manky looking side plates or use another lube in winter.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I personally don't like KMC chains, I always find them noisy. I'm now a firm believer of Campagnolo chains on Campagnolo systems and Shimano on Shimano.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    The X10-EL has nickel plated inner and outer plates for rust resistance, may suit your need for winter.
  • Mr_Mojo wrote:
    I personally don't like KMC chains, I always find them noisy. I'm now a firm believer of Campagnolo chains on Campagnolo systems and Shimano on Shimano.

Now google who makes Shimano chains. :lol::wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    KMC X-11SL Gold
    Morgan Blue Race Oil

There is no better combo, I’ve tried them all.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    really like KMC stuff - lasts for ages, nice and smooth, has never snapped on me.

normally punt in around the £15 mark and team up with a new cassette.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Mr_Mojo wrote:

There’s a big clue on the Shimano chains, it’s the letters KMC stamped on the links :lol:
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I thought Squirt was a special interest magazine aimed at the "conniseur" end of the market.
  • imposter2.0
    Mr_Mojo wrote:

There’s a big clue on the Shimano chains, it’s the letters KMC stamped on the links :lol:

Shimano chains have historically been manufactured by Izumi in Japan (KMC is in Taiwan), so if you have a Shimano-branded chain with KMC stamped on the side, I'd be interested to see a pic...

http://izumichain.co.jp/history_e.html
  • veronese68
    Shortfall wrote:
    I thought Squirt was a special interest magazine aimed at the "conniseur" end of the market.
    I know, it was a bit awkward when I ordered the wrong one mail order. :oops:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    I know, it was a bit awkward when I ordered the wrong one mail order. :oops:
    But then you realised you could use it on your bike?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I run squirt year round but you need to relube after a wet ride. To be honest even in summer I find you need to relube after 100-120 miles of riding.