Upgrade advice

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
I’ve currently got a set of Aksiums, they were on the bike when I bought it second hand and I’ve done over 10k on them; they’ve been great all season wheels. I’m now looking to upgrade to something similarly robust but perhaps a bit lighter/improved ride. I’ve been audaxing through the winter so want something that copes with all conditions. I’m not the greatest hill climber and have Leith Hill et al to deal with in the summer, so upgrading a few bits. Home roads are suffolk/essex, so no great training peaks!

I’ve looked at Kysrium Elites which I can currently get for £385 with British Cycling discount; or possibly Ardennes plus LT at around £595.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I liked my Kysrium Elites - until the rear hub fractured causing a spoke to come out.
  • Look at handbuilts from someone like TheCycleClinic (who posts on here), Strada, Spokesman or a decent local to you (if you have one). If you're using it for Audax type mileage then a wider rim so that you can run wider/bigger volume tyres for a bit more comfort and a wheel that has a reasonable number of spokes so that if there's a failure it's going to get you around the rest of your ride should be at the top of your list, surely?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Aksiums are around 1800g so not hard to go lighter. Those HED Ardennes look sweet, but I'd question their valve for money. Handbuilts are probably a good choice.

For robustness, you probably want well sealed cartridge hubs or cup and cone (e.g. Shimano hubs) if you willing to maintaining them (i.e. clean and regrease regularly). A lot of cheap cartridge hubs (e.g. Novatec, Bitex etc.) are not well sealed so the bearings don't last long if ridden in the wet. This is not a great problem if you can replace the bearings yourself as it's pretty cheap to get high quality new ones. Otherwise hubs like Miche Primato or DT Swiss should last a bit longer. For rims, get something wide and tubeless compatible.

Something like DT Swiss R460 on DT Swiss 350 hubs would fit the bill, but there are plenty of other options out there.

Perhaps not quite as robust, but lighter and good value for money are Cero AR24 or AR30 Evos, as are similar wheels from Hunt and others.
  • Hi thanks all and bobones thanks for the links; I am happy to consider handbuilt and will look further.

The Audax events are really just a reason to drag me out through the winter months to try and maintain some fitness. I do the 70-100 mile events, not the mad Randonneur mileages, and ride them on my Supersix so comfort never features highly.

My goals (@ 54) are to continue to improve, get better at climbing - out of Suffolk - and to ride some of the classic sportive events – not sure I’m including Fred Whitton..
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Something like this from Malcolm at CycleClinic

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... r-wheelset

24F/28R spokes so should be pretty robust. Miche Primato hubs that have a good reputation for coping with all weathers.

Set up for tubeless but can be run as clinchers also

Claimed weight is 1630g so you'll be saving a bit on your Aksium weight,

I have a set H Plus Son Archetype/Miche Primato wheels built by Malcolm last year and they have been faultless - still smooth and true after 2500km in all weathers
  • ollaay
    ollaay Posts: 166
    Campag Zondas are always highly rated for the price 1540g and sub £300 with your 10% off. Have had a pair in the past and were brilliant.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Zondas.