Newbie after chain ring help

jkshaw
jkshaw Posts: 9
edited February 2018 in MTB beginners
Hey, I’ve finally given in to peer pressure and decided to waste my money on a mtb instead of cars for a couple of years until I have more space.

I’m basically learning to ride again as I haven’t owned a bike since I was 14 for a paper round and since then I’ve probably ridden a fixed wheel bike half a dozen times. I’m now 28. :lol:

I’ve just bought the Merida big seven 500 hardtail 2017 model as it was on sale and I was on a tight budget so decided to go for what appeared to be a decent hardtail instead of a cheap full suspension. Let me know if I’ve fallen victim to advertising and bought a crap bike.

There’s a couple of things I’ve already decided I want to upgrade on it such as a dropper post and I’m wanting to at some point in the future possibly swap from 2x10 to a single chain ring.

My question is, is it possible for me to swap the dual chain ring to single without swapping out the entire cassette and gearset?

Any other advice is welcome for a complete novice.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Yes it’s a straight swap, just remove the 2 front rings and replace with a single ring although you need to consider:

1. You’ll need shorter chain ring bolts as you’ll be removing one of the rings, or fit a bash guard in place of the outer ring, or buy a chain ring that includes spacers (see next point).

2. Chainline - ideally you should ensure that you maintain the correct chainline, some rings come with spacers so that you maintain the correct chain line (and means you can reuse the existing bolts).

3. Make sure you fit a narrow wide chain ring to avoid chain drops.

4. You’ll reduce the available gear range so work out if you want it easier for hills (go for small ring eg 30t) or to be able to ride faster (eg 34T) or fit a wide range cassette (£45 ish) or an expander ring (£25 ish).
  • JGTR wrote:
    Yes it’s a straight swap, just remove the 2 front rings and replace with a single ring although you need to consider:

1. You’ll need shorter chain ring bolts as you’ll be removing one of the rings, or fit a bash guard in place of the outer ring, or buy a chain ring that includes spacers (see next point).

2. Chainline - ideally you should ensure that you maintain the correct chainline, some rings come with spacers so that you maintain the correct chain line (and means you can reuse the existing bolts).

3. Make sure you fit a narrow wide chain ring to avoid chain drops.

4. You’ll reduce the available gear range so work out if you want it easier for hills (go for small ring eg 30t) or to be able to ride faster (eg 34T) or fit a wide range cassette (£45 ish) or an expander ring (£25 ish).

Awesome. That’s good to hear. Shouldn’t be too expensive to do then. Was beginning to regret buying a bike with dual chainring so cheap in case it would cost a couple of hundred to convert.

Will I need to change the actual chain at all?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    No you won’t need to change chain, unless it’s worn out.
  • JGTR wrote:
    No you won’t need to change chain, unless it’s worn out.

Cheers mate. Valuable info. Gunna stick as is for a few months and see how I get on but I can see this happening in the near future.

Better get shopping for a dropper post.