Spring on shimano xt disc brake keeps dislodging and breaking

Strongbull
Strongbull Posts: 24
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone help me please.The spring on my shimano xt brakes(the spring that come with the pads) has twice now in 3 months become dislodged and thus bends and breaks forcing me end up buying new pads as well as abandoning ride as the brakes don't work properly .Both time is been on the rear

Anyone any idea why this keeps happening

Thanks

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Where is the break, same place each time? Post photo of the spring.
    Brake disc is not rubbing against it?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The spring that holds the pads shouldn't move as its secured with the bolt unlike other lower end shimano brakes that use the split pin, those do move around.

Is the bolt loose?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have been using Deore, SLX and XT brakes for the last 7 years on various bikes and never experienced that problem.
    Are you fitting the pads and spring correctly?
    You need to insert the pads and spring at the same time in a sort of sandwich arrangement. Don't try and fit the 3 items individually.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JBA wrote:
    I have been using Deore, SLX and XT brakes for the last 7 years on various bikes and never experienced that problem.
    Are you fitting the pads and spring correctly?
    You need to insert the pads and spring at the same time in a sort of sandwich arrangement. Don't try and fit the 3 items individually.

Was thinking the same thing, the spring must be coming loose and snapping off.

must be using wrong brake pads that fit in the caliper but cant see you being able to do that as the xt brakes you load the pads from the top.

i have had the pads rattle on the lower end shimano disc brakes but never broke any pad springs.